We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jucy car rental

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
jucy car rental

Hi guys, have anyone taken the El Cheapo car(1998 or later)? i will be renting it for 11 days on the south island.

or should i at the Jucy Compact(which is 2005 or later)

thanks!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jucy car rental

Are you comparing apples with apples? The El Cheapo car as you call it may well be a very good car. It is probably a Japanese Imported second Hand car. My own car is a 1994 Japanese import and goes great.

The later car I am assuming is dearer than the earlier model. If it isnt then take the later model.

Jucy is a reputable 2nd tier car rental company and like most rental car companies you get what you pay for.

The choice is yours

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jucy car rental

The Jucy compact is a Daihatsu Sirion, quite a small car, but as long as you don't mind the size, I reckon is a much better option than the El Cheapo (this will be something like a Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sunny, but quite old and high mileage).

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jucy car rental

I drive a 2003 Daihatsu Sirion. It's perfectly fine for two - would be a stretch for any more just because you couldn't fit luggage in. Very reliable car. Only problem in the past 7 years (aside from me forgetting to turn the lights off) has been the muffler falling off.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jucy car rental

In addition to what Weta said about the luggage, be careful about hiring a little car if you will be bringing large suitcases. Quite often I see tourists who have hired a compact car and obviously can't fit more than one large suitcase in the boot, so they put the other one/s on the backseat. NZ is a fairly safe country and most of those tourists would have been fine. However, it is worth mentioning that you do increase the temptation of car thieves if you allow your possessions to be so clearly visible. Particularly when you plan on making a lot of stops between destinations e.g. bushwalking etc

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jucy car rental

thanks so much for the reply.. i only 2 of us and we are traveling light.. thanks alot for the info!

England
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jucy car rental

Be Careful about Jucy...They may give you a Lemon Car

I reserved a car on website and the price is very attractive and I check Trip Advisor nothing had been wrong. However, I would not go for Jucy if I knew their mis-interpretation of “Economy car ” as a second hand car always with mileage of 190K+ km. I asked the receptionist in Christchurch Airport office. He said to me El Cheapo is an “Economy car”. I have hired cars in so many place, this time it wided my experiences. I suppose an “Economy car” usually means a smaller car. Ok, if the condition of car was good that’s fine, but it wasn’t.

What I got was a Lemon car with a problem. I changed once and was told to choose between a car with the same problem but slight better or a Toyota with 390K+ km. Finally, after I spent two half days to deal this matter, their operation department agreed to change a better car.

I would not recommend Jucy Car Rental if price is not the utmost criteria in your car rental choice.

John

east
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jucy car rental

I will normally try to get a car 4-5 year old for greater piece of mind.

There are many 2nd tier rentals offering such cars at very reasonable prices

Driving in NZ is somewhat different from city driving in singapore.

8. Re: jucy car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 29, 2010