We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

New Delhi, India
11 posts
Save Topic
MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

Has anyone here been to lofoten islands, norway? Milford sound looks a lot like it and the cruise looks a lot like the ferry trip from bodo to lofoten islands. I dont want to shell out a lot of money to do something similar. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,689 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
6 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,321 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

Milford Sound was named 8th wonder of the world by Rudyard Kipling - but hey, you've seen one fiord, no need to ever see another, right?

Most fiords look similar - they are all formed the same way. I actually think Norway's fiords are more spectacular. However everyone here on TA agrees it is the drive Te Anau to Milford which is the true highlight, not the destination once you arrive. Miss it if you wish.

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,689 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
New Delhi, India
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

Since I have been to lofoten islands, I know that a few hours there isn’t enough. But that’s all I have time for. a coach-cruise-coach trip is all I can do, so I’m just wondering if it’s worth the money if I will spend 10+ hours inside a bus and see something similar only for like an hour.

Edited: 9:35 am, June 13, 2018
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

$100 isn't exactly alot of money in the scheme of things when traveling around NZ...

Ask the 800,000 people that visited Milford Sound in 2017 how they enjoyed.

I haven't been to Lofoten Islands - but looking at the Google images the fact that they're fjords is the only similarity.... Milford is part of a rainforest, so lots of moody rain clouds, rain, waterfalls. And as above, the road journey to Milford is a major part of the journey.

Ultimately though, it's your decision. ...

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,689 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

Having been to both I can see very little similarity between them.

New Delhi, India
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

I’m so glad this page exists! Thank you all for weighing in.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands

I have been to Lofoten (2010) I did an 11 day cruise up and down the Norway coast and would love to do it again. . It was wonderful. I have also been to MIlford half a dozen times, admittedly the last 4 I have driven myself (in summer) so not expensive. Just once since I went to Lofoten. I love it as well. They are quite different IMO.

Reply to: MIlford Sound Cruise / Ferry to lofoten islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted