We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rockingham dolphins

lincoln england
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
rockingham dolphins

My husband and I are stopping off for 4 days in Perth, beginning of Feb on route to Brisbane to visit family.

Would love to see dolphins, if poss even to swim with them.

Monkey Mia is a little too far to travel, but searching on the internet, Rockingham gets a mention.

Has anyone done the Dolphin swim there? Reports please.

Or perhaps there is somewhere else in the Perth region where we could do this.

Look forward to hearing from you out there!!

Thanks in anticipation.

western australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rockingham dolphins

i lived in Rockingham until december 2006,had lots of reports about disappointed people re dolphin trips here,mainly they saw very few,if any! We used to see many when we just stood on the beach,still id come here anytime in comparison to Monkey Mia,its brash and busy and like a mini holiday camp.Give the Rockingham tours a try but there are many options along the coast,if you do go to Rockingham,you have to eat at Bettyblue bistro,take in the views and sample the beautiful cooking.

Perth WA
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: rockingham dolphins

Bunbury, which is further south, has the Dolphin Discovery Centre. I went there a few years ago and it was very good - didn't do the swim but went to the free beach area and saw a huge friendly dolphin. I've also seen lots of dolphins on a Mandurah canal cruise, which is just past Rockingham.

http://dolphins.mysouthwest.com.au/

www.mandurahferrycruises.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rockingham dolphins

We swam with the dolphins in Rockingham last May. It had rained a lot the day before so the water was a bit cloudy and we rode around in the boat for 2 hours before they spotted the first group of dolphins. But once we were in the water all the impatience while riding on the boat disappeared, it was quite wonderful to be in the water with such graceful creatures. All in all we swam 3 times with 3 different groups of dolphins. I thought it was worth the trip and a big savings from having to go to Monkey Mia (my time in oz was limited so time was of the essence).

The dolphin center in Bunburry doesn't have the same dolphin swimming activity as Rockingham, it's more of a nature education center.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rockingham dolphins

It was not allowed to swim with the Dolphins when we were in Monki Mia. Just watched them. I would prefer Bunbury, can't judge Rockingham or Mandurah. We did interact with a Dolphin though, just in the wild, but that was at Black Point SA, too far away........

Tet

perth
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rockingham dolphins

Re Bunbury: an exerpt from today's paper..." The dolphin swim on the wild side tour is a 3 hour tour ...twice daily.. from November to April...with experienced marine biologists and trained volunteers.

Opportunity to swim with wild bottlenosed dolphins. "

Phone number 9791-3088 or www.dolphindiscovery.com.au

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rockingham dolphins

lennyb, that's good info. I was in Perth last May and had looked into the dolphin swim at Bunburry but they weren't doing it so I settled for Rockingham. Maybe it was because it was later (colder) in the year.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rockingham dolphins

I swam with them in Nov last year and there were about 20 of them, the guides gave it an 8 out of 10, we were there for 2 hours, but as they are wild there is no guarantee!

I thought it was v professionally run!!!

8. Re: rockingham dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 25, 2009