We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Its my fist visit to Oz and will be travelling with hubby and 2 year old. Staying for 3 weeks so will be splitting holiday up between Perth and sydney, and may well squeeze Adelaide or Melbourne in.

Travelling out 3 march so thought Perth would be good starting point.

Location - torn between basing ourselves in Perth - Crowne Plaza or Freemantle and would welcome comments as intend to use it a a base only. Did try Scarbough Beach Apartments but fully booked. Did consider Rendezvous but recent reviews are saying its a bit tired now.

Want to see as much as we can in 7-9 days so will probably hire a car.

On my list so far is:-

Perth - Zoo, Aquarium. Cohuna Kaola Park

Rottnest Island

Margaret River & Wineries

Freemantle

Any others I should consider?

thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Crowne Plaza Perth
Crowne Plaza Perth
762 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Special Offer
Swan Valley Wine Gourmet Wine Cruise...
274 Reviews
from $65.10*
$130.20
Rottnest Island from Perth or...
124 Reviews
from $96.70*
Special Offer
Caversham Wildlife Park, the...
146 Reviews
from $132.50*
$165.70
Special Offer
Margaret River Wines, Mammoth Cave...
125 Reviews
from $132.50*
$165.70
London, UK
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Margaret River is a must, but is a good couple of hour drive from Perth. If you are then planning on driving around to some of the wineries you will find that you'll spend your entire day in the car.

I think it's too far to go for a day, and would recommend staying a night either in Margaret River or one of the towns near-by.

I would recommend Dunsborough. It's at the top end of the wine growing area and is situated on the coast. There is a nice quiet beach which is great for walking along, and good for a dip. It’s a nice small town that has a great bakery. There are a number of holiday apartments you can rent.

How about these for other things to do:

- I would consider a drive past Cottesloe beach and have breakfast at the John’s St Café (halfway up the hill on John St)

- A walk around Kings Park is also worthwhile. There are great views of the city.

- When you are in Fremantle go to the Fisherman’s Harbor and have fish and chips at Cicerellos (excellent fish and chips, and amazing aquariums stocked with all types of fish), and then wander further along the boardwalk to Little Creatures (a great micro brewery that serves great beer in a relaxed environment).

Mentioned in this post
Cottesloe
Cottesloe
Greater Perth, Australia
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth girl
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Agree with points made by Euro Justin - Kings Pk is a must, and Freo (as we locals say) is great too - laidback, good if you enjoy the sun and a beer. Little Creatures is great too - v. friendly with kids, good food, locally brewed beer, and lots of different types of people.

If you dont want to do Marg River/Dunsborough, as it is a good 3 hrs drive south, the alternative is the Swan Valley - the original wine growing area in WA, and only about 40mins out of the city. Mixture of nice little wineries/breweries and cafe/restaurants.

Places like Quest apartments are quite good for accommodation - with kitchen facilities etc, there is one in Subiaco (just out of city centre) but close to Kings Park, train, markets, restaurants, etc. Nice area.

To be honest - Koalas are a bit overrated. All they do is sleep, and are hard to spot in the trees. You can see them if you go to the zoo - along with kangaroos, crocs, Tassie Devil, etc, so would give Cohuna a miss...

The aquarium (AQWA) is north at Hillarys Boat Harbour, and ferries to/from Rottnest also leave from here.

Mentioned in this post
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Subiaco
Subiaco
Greater Perth, Australia
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

We recently came back from another visit to Perth and enjoyed, like always. Through TA we met people from Perth and they showed us around and it was fun. I second all the above tips mentioned by EuroJustin and PerthTotoro. We stayed in Cottlesloe and Scarborough. Great dining at both place. We also had great food at Cottleshoe Cafe right at the Marine Parade. We checked the Rendez Vous for a stay but no vacancy. It has fantastic views and try a north facing room. Can't satyit looked tired, they constructed a walkway right to the beach and also a very goodrestaurant adjacent,

For Fremantle don't forget a visit to the WA Maritime Museum and tyhe Chipwreck Museum, one of the highlight of our trip and if you return to Perth do your shopping at the Garden Mall. From Perth you might also go up north and visit the Pinnacles near Cervantes but you better take two days for it. If you start from Perth it's about 4 hours and you can spend the night in Cervantes. The Pinnacles are best visit late in the afternoon or early in the morning. You also can see Koala in Yanchep NP on your way to Cervantes.

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

We recently came back from another visit to Perth and enjoyed, like always. Through TA we met people from Perth and they showed us around and it was fun. I second all the above tips mentioned by EuroJustin and PerthTotoro. We stayed in Cottlesloe and Scarborough. Great dining at both place. We also had great food at Cottleshoe Cafe right at the Marine Parade. We checked the Rendez Vous for a stay but no vacancy. It has fantastic views and try a north facing room. Can't satyit looked tired, they constructed a walkway right to the beach and also a very goodrestaurant adjacent,

For Fremantle don't forget a visit to the WA Maritime Museum and tyhe Chipwreck Museum, one of the highlight of our trip and if you return to Perth do your shopping at the Garden Mall. From Perth you might also go up north and visit the Pinnacles near Cervantes but you better take two days for it. If you start from Perth it's about 4 hours and you can spend the night in Cervantes. The Pinnacles are best visit late in the afternoon or early in the morning. You also can see Koala in Yanchep NP on your way to Cervantes.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

A river cruise up to the wineries in the Swan Valley could also be added to your itinerary.

The weather in early March should still be pretty warm, so leave yourself a 'free day' where you can just relax at the beach and watch the sun go down (unless the Doctor blows you away!). Best family beaches are probably City Beach and Cottesloe as they have grassed areas with shade too.

I agree with staying a night or two or three in the south-west.

Mentioned in this post
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
City Beach
City Beach
Greater Perth, Australia
Cottesloe
Cottesloe
Greater Perth, Australia
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Theres another wildlife park which is really great, Caversham wildlife park.

http://www.cavershamwildlife.com.au/

From memory its cheaper than Cohuna, and I know you can go into the Kangaroo area and feed and touch the Kangaroos, not sure if you can do that at Cohuna.

You definately need more than 1 day at Margaret River, but if you go there, stop off at the famous Yallingup Beach on the way. Mandurah is also quite nice down on the foreshore, there's a big stretch along the foreshore with shops and lots of cafe's/restaurants. That is about 1hr South of Perth, and on the way to Margaret River.

Lancelin is another small beach town, north of Perth. About 1 hours drive. It is a town surrounded by massive sand dunes, and it is quite fun to hire a sandboard and go sandboarding. You can also go on a "monster school bus" which is a monster 4X4 bus, made for driving in the sand dunes

grayline.com/Grayline/…

Manchester England
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Have been to Perth several times and agree with all previous comments and ideas.

the Swan Valley is lovely - not managed to fit in a boat trip yet though, great for chocolate, ice cream, and of course vino, good restaurants here too - though not many open in the evening.

When we went to Rottnest Island we did the Reef and Wreck tour, a good day out Captain Cook cruises, catch the boat from Hilary's. gives you glass bottom boat trip over the wrecks, free time on the island to explore, hire bikes etc. and also includes lunch.

I can recommend Caversham Wildlife Park. Good access to the koalas and kangaroos - go midweek it's much quieter.

Although it is very busy, Freemantle at a weekend is good value - sit outside a restaurant and watch the fab parade of cars go past, the weekend markets are well worth a look at too. Also check out the tours around the prison at Freeo - no I'm not weird or anything -very interesting and informative guided tours.

The only other suggestion I have is Subiaco, great place for weekend day brunch and people watching, good markets here too.

enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Swan Valley
Swan Valley
Greater Perth, Australia
Subiaco
Subiaco
Greater Perth, Australia
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

King's Park is a must in Perth.

As if Freo.

I would suggest Caversham Park instead of the Perth Zoo as there is a better concentration of native Australian fauna and flora; you can pet and feed kangaroos and hold their resident hairy nosed wombat.

The AQWA (aquarium) is wonderful (I've never seen as many huge sharks in one tank!), and while you're there spend some time sitting in a cafe in Cotlesloe.

Margaret River is nice but quite a drive away. If you go, check out the caves. Jewel Cave close to Augusta is wonderful but it may be boring for a 2 year old....

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Will be adding a Swan River Cruise, Kings Park and Caversham to my list of thing to do. Will hire a car as well to go and visit Margaret River area and stay over for a night.

Now staying 12 nights so may well squeeze a trip to Monkey Mia in but wondering whether its worth it?

Am also celebrating my 40th birthday while in Perth so am looking for something special to do. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit to Perth - comments on draft itinerary please!!

Hi Chucknornan77

On the subject of Monkey MIa - I personally do think it's worth it.

We went last March and thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip.

BUT be warned if you are thinking of driving it is a long way from Perth and in my opinion to do it comfortably you need a night stop on the way there and again on the way back.

OR you can fly up.

There is the other option of a guided tour.

There is a tour operator based in Perth they have a comprehensive website - discoverwest.com. where you can get a few more ideas.

All the things you've chosen to do are fantastic and well recommended but be careful, don't forget it's a holiday and not a marathon.

This will be my 3rd trip to Australia in three years and I'm still trying to fit in all the things I had planned for my first trip and each time I go back I discover more things to do for my next trip.

you'll enjoy it all whatever you do.