We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip: Perth Esperance

PErth
1 post
Save Topic
Road Trip: Perth Esperance

Hi all,

Myself, my girlfriend and some friends are planning an Esperance roadtrip to celebrate the end of school. We have secured accomodation, planned most of the details, worked out the logistics and are just waiting till late november!

As designated navigator (sigh), I was wondering if anyone could share their experience as to the best route to take from Perth->Esperance.

The way I see it is there are 3 options:

1)Perth->Coolgardie->Ravensthorpe->Esperance

2)Perth ->Brookton ->Corrigin ->Hyden->Ravensthorpe->Esperance

3)Perth -> Albany -> Ravensthorpe -> Esperance

I'm interested in hearing

1) Which route is the shortest

2) Which route will take the least amount of time

3) Which route is the 'best', ie. 2xlane, straight lines, roos/emus etc.

4) Any tips, advice and experience you can share with me about anything aspect of the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
125 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip: Perth Esperance

shortest route would have to be the number 2 straight down the middle - this route goes thru farm country so you would have to expect less of the road than the Great Eastern or Great Southern Highway but still very good road - as with any country driving you have to watch out for roos - especially at dusk and also where there is paddocks on one side of the road and bush on hte other - the roos come across for feed.

take lots of breaks and share the driving you will be fine - but its a long way which ever way you look at it - you can always overnight along the way somewhere

Barnoldswick UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip: Perth Esperance

Sorry to hijack the thread, but we are thinking of taking the same trip in January next year, I've heard it's beautiful down there,but is it worth going all that way to see?.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip: Perth Esperance

The coats around Esperance is spectacular and in fact further east towards the SA border is amazing- remote unpopulated national parks wiht great camping facilities and huge untouched beaches, wonderful wildflowers and some beautiful bush walks.

Cygnet, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip: Perth Esperance

Did the option 2 about two years ago.. in a day with a blazing hangover.. so if I can drive it anyone can.. Didnt see roos and emus but did find it a long drive not sure if it was the party the night before...

It took us about 7 hours including a short nap on the way. To recover.

Just lay off the Tequila the night before.. lol

Enjoy!!

perth
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip: Perth Esperance

Starz reports driving to Esperance " with a blazing hangover". A big word of caution, driving while under the influence ( and his blood alcohol level would still have been up ) is NOT recommended and certainly not on long,sometimes monotonous journeys.

There are too many deaths of tourists on our outback roads with out the added impairment caused by alcohol. Take care .Consider other road users.

6. Re: Road Trip: Perth Esperance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 25, 2009