We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

Hi All, I will be going on a Perth / South-West road trip with my family (elderly parents included) in a group of 6 from 21Aug- 30Aug. We need a comfortably paced itinerary (because of parents) without anything too strenuous or intensive. Also, my family isnt too crazy about the outdoors, so we're ok not to spend too much in each nature spot. Appreciate your feedback on whether my itinerary and the order which i've planned is feasible, and whether I should include / drop any of my items, thanks alot!

Day 1 21Aug:

Touch down at 7.30am, visit Lobster Shack for lunch, Pinnacles Desert, Lake Thetis. Overnight at Cervantes.

Day 2 22Aug:

Drive down to Fremantle, Fremantle market. Overnight at Fremantle.

Day 3 23Aug:

Leave Fremantle, Busselton timber jetty,Ngilgi Cave and Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse , Caves Rd. Overnight at Margaret River region.

Day 4 & 5 / 24 & 25Aug:

Margaret river shops, Lake Cave, Mammoth Cave. Overnight at Margaret River region.

Day 6 26Aug:

Boranup Drive, Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse, Karri Forest Explorer. Overnight at Pemberton.

Day 7 27Aug:

Shannon National Park. Overnight at Walpole - Nornalup.

Day 8 28Aug:

Walpole - Nornalup National Park. Overnight at Albany.

Day 9 29Aug:

Torndirrup National Park. Overnight at Hyden.

Day10 30Aug:

Wave Rock. Possibly Hippo's yawn & Lace Place. Overnight at Perth

Day 11 31Aug:

Cycling in King's Park, Perth. Shopping. Overnight at Perth.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

You do realise don't you, that there's an awful lot of driving in your schedule. Trust you feel confident driving these distances.

Some suggestions and I am sure others will contribute ideas.

Spend Day 1 in Perth. Do not get off an overnight flight and drive to the Pinnacles. Instead enjoy your first 2 nights in Perth/Fremantle. No need to hire car even on first two days and stay in the same place for 2 nights. Day 1 go to Kings Park (where are you hiring bikes as I understand it, there is no bike hire within Kings Park so need to hire from somewhere such as this place http://aboutbikehire.com.au/ then ride up to Kings Park). The wildflowers will be out so spend some time wandering. You could fit in some other things in Perth eg Perth Mint. Then on Day 2 head to Perth by ferry and return to Perth via train. The Markets are open Friday and your parents might enjoy the Fremantle Tram hop on hop off bus. ttp://www.fremantletrams.com/

Days 3-5 look good in terms of staying put in one location .

Day 6 -good idea to overnight in Pemberton

Day 7- whilst it is fine to stay in Walpole and I love that wilderness area, given you are not outdoors people then maybe consider spending the whole day to get to Albany from Pemberton and have Nights 7 and 8 in Albany. On the drive from Pemberton to Albany I would recommend stopping at the Tree Top Walk just out of Walpole, William Bay if the weather is fine and you want to see a lovely beach, drive along the scenic Scotsdale Rd and call into lovely food spots then spend some time in Denmark before getting to Albany before dark. http://www.rainbowcoast.com.au/

There is much to see and do in Albany and warrants a full day- if not more - not just nature based activities but interesting history and terrific weekend markets. http://www.amazingalbany.com.au/

Day 9 is I feel completely unrealistic. You will spend some time driving around the south coast (include WhaleWorld and Wind Farm in that section) then heading off for a 5 hour drive to Hyden. Personally, I would not be driving to Hyden to see Wave Rock when plenty of other great things to see and do in the region-you are still doing a lot of driving even without Wave Rock. Drive back to Perth along the Albany Hwy, stopping at Kojonup and Williams- lovely farming country at this time of the year-takes you 5 hrs.

If you want to head to the Pinnacles then do that at the end of your trip.

Edited: 3:34 am, July 29, 2014
Queensland...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

jean is right, your trip involves lots of driving. you'd be really tired to enjoy your trip. why not tweak your itinerary to give yourself a rest from driving every other day?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

Totally agree with everything Jean says. My first thought when I saw your Day 1 was, "You're kidding, right?" Arriving at the crack of dawn after a night flight, getting into a hire car for a longish drive in an unfamiliar country with very different road conditions to what you're used to, is inviting trouble. Do plan to stay in Perth at least for your first night.

Also agree about too much moving around- you'll waste time you could be having fun doing the pack up-load the car-check out-check in-unload the car-unpack shuffle.

And as to Wave Rock/Hippo's Yawn/Hyden, IMO while they are mildly interesting, when time is short as it is for you, they are eminently missable. It's a heck of a lot of driving to look at a funny shaped rock.

Edited: 6:12 am, July 29, 2014
Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

I agree with YorkFoodie. If you go to Wave Rock, there is nothing of interest on the way there (and back) and nothing else to see or do in the vicinity of the rock.

As others pointed out, day one would be ill advised for a long drive. Have you considered Yanchep National Park, only 45 minutes from Perth?

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

Wow thanks alot for the detailed feedback! We'll really need to digest the info and relook our plans..I'll come back here if I've more queries, thanks again :)

6. Re: Feedback on Perth/South-West 11day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 31, 2015