We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Dear all,

I have booked my ticket to Perth this coming 31Aug-5Sep with my hubby, 3yrs old son and 70yrs old mom. As I am browsing airbnb for apartment rentals, am confused as which area is best for us stay so that we can travel with ease using the public transport. Or we need to rent a car which is more convenient? My budget for accomodation is AUD160/nite

The places that I plan to go are Caversham, King's Park, Perth Zoo, Freemantle and maybe to Hilary's aquarium. Kindly advise and thanks in advance.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

How about Verandah apartment at northbridge? Actually city stay and mountway looks quite old to me. Any other apartment in CBD area to recommend? Thanks again

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Hi Yvonne

I had a look on airbnb and noticed that the Newcastle Street apartment has the free CAT bus on the same street, and Leederville train station is near by. These should both make travelling into the city quite easy. I also noticed the owners are in the same complex, so could help you out with bus and train information.

Leederville is a nice little area with cafes and restaurants too. As long as the four of you can manage with two bedrooms, I'd say this isn't a bad choice at all, particularly for your budget, as long as mum can manage a 10 minute walk to Leederville.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Thanks all for the reply.

Finally we have found a place in CBD at the Murray View apartment @ murray street. As we will be in perth for 6D/5N i was thinking of spending 2 nights at fremantle and 3 nights in perth. Do you think it is advisable or stay all 5 nights in perth?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

No point in moving, the two are only half an hour apart and you'll just be wasting sightseeing time packing up, checking out, moving, checking in and unpacking.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Good advise YorkFoodie and i agree on that so i will stick with the 5 nights plan in perth city.

As i plan not to rent a car, can i go to caversham by taxi with my family? Any idea how much fare vice versa. For my return from caversham is it convenient to find a taxi there or i have to prebook the taxi in advance.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

You can calculate the fare using the Fares Calculator on the Swan Taxis website. I would prebook the taxi for the trip back as I wouldn't think there would be a lot of taxis hanging around there on the off chance of a fare, taxis are not as widely used here as they are in Asia.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
1,527 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Yvonne. Taxi Perth to Caversham is quoted as $46 each way on Swan Taxis website.

You can reduce this to $29 by getting the taxi from Guildford railway station, but probably not worth doing this by the time you add the cost of all your train tickets from Perth to Guildford. If you were on your own then it would be a bit of a saving.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Have a look at Stayz. They have a lot great apartments, much cheaper than motels and just as nice. If you are relying on public transport then check the apartments in East Perth (close to the railway line and bus services). Otherwise - hire a car and stay in Fremantle :)

http://www.stayz.com.au/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Hi DD, my apologies firstly for jutting in. I would like to ask if staying in Subiaco (near Rokeby) is suitable for my family of 3 including a 1year old as I am also unsure.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
1,527 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Need Help-First Timer in Perth

Hi

Subiaco has some shops, cafes and restaurants. There are a couple of weekend markets with nice food options and there are some parks with playgrounds for the children.

On the weekend late at night there may be some drunk people about but it isn't usually a problem.

Subiaco is on the same train line as Perth, Cottesloe and Fremantle so can be convenient for tourists, depending on where you are visiting. There are also buses into the city.

It will increase the price of your taxi to Caversham a little and will make the journey to Hillary's a little longer.