We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper van and three year old in may

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Camper van and three year old in may

Can anyone give me some recommendations for my trip. Looking to hire a van for a week from Perth and head up to monkey Mia. Where's good to see/stay and how long in each place? I'm driving back to Perth too. Obviously with a young one I would prefer good campsites and short drives 2-3 hours max

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

australiascoralcoast.com/itineraries/drive-i… site has a good trip planner, but i think on the day you pick up the camper you could make it to geralton, and stay there, then go on to kalbarri the next day, which is a popular getaway with lovely outback scenery. When you pick up the van head to a northern suburbs supermarket to get your supplies and ensure you carry plenty of water in case of breakdowns. Have fun ,♡

If you have time, here is a new great ocean road trip you may want to follow going north or on the way back ....the indian ocean drive north of perth, which is a scenic route out of perth rather than the inland highway that you may want to follow, then see the pinnacles on the way. On the return trip when you dont want to be wasting too much time, you can can the normal highway. Its a very long way to MM and not much to see inbetween

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

callea -

This is an ambitious trip with only one week. Distances in WA are huge, and you'll find it near impossible to drive only 2-3 hours a day and actually get anywhere.

Perth to Monkey Mia is 850 kms - that's about 9-10 hours of driving just to get there, then 9-10 hours back - and that doesn't take into account any stops along the way. At 2-3 hours a day, it'll take you three days to get there, and then three days back. So there goes your week.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

I have to agree with Melnq, a week is just not long enough for you to do this really. But to help you, what are your particular interests? If it's seeing the dolphins at Monkey Mia, you have a couple of other options that would be a bit more time-friendly, given your time constraints of a week.

1- Fly there from Perth and stay in a camping area at Denham or Monkey Mia for 4 or 5 days.

www.skippers.com.au/FlightsMonkeyMia.asp

2 - Mandurah, just one hour south of Perth, from here you can do a boat tour on the river estuary where you are extremely likely to see one of the dolphin families which live there. They seem to like to travel next to the boats. Mandurah is a coastal town with plenty of nice places to choose from to stay around the estuary with a campervan.

http://mandurahdolphintours.com.au/

3 - Bunbury (2 hrs south of Perth) has the Dolphin Discovery Centre, with a "dolphin interaction zone" in Koombana Bay where wild dolphins often come in to the shore. It offers cruises and the option of swimming with dolphins. Bunbury also has coastal inlets and lots of options for campervan accommodation.

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com.au/

At all these places including Monkey Mia the dolphins are wild, not caged, so there is a chance that they may not come in. However they do enjoy free fish!

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

Thanks for such good advice. Have decided to extend it to 10-14 days. How far is broome from monkey Mia in travelling time? Thinking of flying back?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

Monkey Mia to Broome is 1,802 km - about 20 hours of driving time!

Please don't underestimate the size of WA - it's MASSIVE.

Edited: 8:08 pm, March 19, 2014
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

And if you fly back you will likely have to pay a one-way fee of several hundred dollars.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

There are some lovely places to tour in a camper van down the south east of the state.....leave those big long trips till your child is older,

. A 3 year old cant stay in the car that long travelling all the way up to broome...my goodness perish the thought! But 10- 14 days would give ypu a good tour to MM and you could stay longer in kalbarri, and perhaps see some other areas around perth, zuch as the country south of perth or busselton, as well on your return. ♡

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

Great I think I'm going to do the mm trip but do 10-14 days. Any good stop offs and campsites?

9. Re: Camper van and three year old in may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 22, 2015