Hello to the tripadvisor community! We are three 21-year-old girls heading to Perth for a short getaway in late May. Would appreciate your personal opinions on our itinerary!
We're not heavy party go-ers, but would love a balance of fresh, exciting activities and relaxing, outdoor ones. We're trying to keep things as budget-friendly as possible, and avoid driving too much (hence no margaret river) as we are not used to driving long distances.
Flight times are fixed; everything else is flexible!
- Arrive at airport (ard midnight) and check in at accomodation (either Perth/Fremantle)
- Head to fremantle (if stayed in Perth)
- Fremantle markets
- Fishing Harbour (have fish & chips)
- Shop for groceries
- Stay in fremantle.
- Take the train down to mandurah
- Dolphin cruise
- Head back to fremantle to possibly learn to surf (it's okay if we don't really learn, we just want the experience. Understand there are some people/schools who are willing to offer a 1-afternoon course? Recommendations also welcome!)
- Stay at fremantle.
- Head to Rottnest Island
- Quokka walk and perhaps reefs, wrecks and daring sailors tour
- Explore the island and beaches using the bus pass
- Cook dinner
- Stay on Rottnest Island
- 1 round of minigolf (we've never done it in Singapore and its half the price here)
- bowling on the bowling green? (can't find info on price and where to do)
- Head back to fremantle
- Fremantle gaol (either the tunnels or torchlights tour)
- Rent car
- Drive to swan valley (caversham wildlife park, & visit one vineyard)
- Drive to New Norcia, take the Guided Town tour
- Drive to York, farm stay and picnic dinner
Day 7 (friday):
- Explore York town
- York Motor museum
- Drive back to perth, return car
- Check in and dump luggage at accomodation (Perth)
- Shopping at Harbour Town Outlet Stores
- Free day
- Start heading to the airport at 8pm (midnight flight)
- Explore town
- York motor museum
- Chill in the countryside (is York a nice place to chill?)
- 2nd night of Farmstay
- Drive back to Perth
- Shopping @ Harbour Town Outlet Stores (recommend safe & free car park space in Perth CBD? It's ok if we need to walk a little / take a free cat we need the car only to store our luggage since we did not stay at a hotel in perth and cannot store our luggage there)
- Drive to airport, return rental
In addition, we have some questions:
1. Is our itinerary too leisurely until the point where we might be bored? If there are scenic places to chill, I guess that's fine, but if there's nothing to see it might be a problem.
2. What time are supermarkets in Fremantle generally open until?
3. Which is a better place to stay in Fremantle - South Beach/Marine Terrace or the CBD? Particularly in terms of access to the beach. Are there beaches near the fishing harbour side (v.s. the South beach side)?
4. Would it be too cold to snorkel in Rottnest in May? If so, could we have suggestions on what other things we could do in Rottnest? Is the walking trail interesting?
5. We intend to visit one vineyard in Swan Valley. Any recommendations on which? We are not wine aficionados so we don't need the best quality of wines; we just want to see what a vineyard looks like.
6. Is New Norcia worth a visit? We would like to spend a little more time on the farm in York, so if we adopt the 1st itinerary (1 night only in York), we would be giving up some valuable time just to visit New Norcia, and hence would like to know if it is worth it (especially since females are disallowed from touring some parts of New Norcia, I think?).