We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Hi everyone, this is my first trip to Australia and I've been reading through the forum as well as other guides online to prepare a rough itinerary. I'm flying to Perth with my family (older brother and parents) from 11 Jan - 17 Jan and we're mostly interested in scenery, natural places of interest etc. We're also running on a tight budget with no car on our own, so we're depending entirely on public transport and joining day tours.

This is what I've come up with so far:

Day 1, Saturday (Perth)

- Arrival at 18:30, take a cab to hotel

Day 2, Sunday (Fremantle)

- The Fremantle Markets

- Fremantle Prison (Is the Doing Time tour or Great Escape tour better? Or should we do both?)

- Fremantle Fishing Boat Harbour (for late lunch)

- Shipwreck Galleries

- Round House and Whalers Tunnel (if time permits)

Day 3, Monday (Perth CBD)

- Train to Cottesloe station and walk to beach (10-15 min?)

- Train back to Perth, explore CBD (pls recommend any must-see areas)

- King’s Park at night.

Day 4, Tuesday (Rottnest Island)

- Rottnest Express ferry to the island (Telethon Tuesday Ferry-only Deal)

- All the free walking tours by the Rottnest Voluntary Guides (www.rvga.asn.au/Pub%20Daily%20Tours.pdf)

- Two Feet & A Heartbeat walking tour at 6pm (if time permits, only because they have a Tuesday deal as well)

Day 5, Wednesday (Swan Valley)

- Taste Bud Tours (1.15 - 6.15 pm) tastebudtours.com.au/a-good-food-wine-beer-t…

Day 6, Thursday (Penguin Island)

- Penguin Island ferry + discovery center

Day 7, Friday (Perth CBD)

- Last-minute shopping before heading to the airport

I know my itinerary is pretty skimpy towards the end and I would appreciate all the help I can get. I'm really interested in the pinnacles but with no car and no budget option (all the tours are at least $200 pax), it looks like I'll have to give it a miss. Thanks in advance.

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Can't say I speak for everyone but yes, I loved the cream. It wasn't very sweet and I thought it had all the right flavors in it. I guess another reason we like it is because we don't have good pastries in Singapore (even the $4 beef pies from Coles taste better than the pricier pies here). Corica is probably popular among us through word of mouth.

Where else do you think has better strudels? It will be good for reference.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Personally I prefer Miss Maud's but you have to add your own cream :-) I'm not a huge fan of tons of cream (or any, really, unless it's the right sort of cake) with a cake.

My top pick would be my own home made strudel, but I don't ship ;-D

Edited: 12:20 am, January 18, 2014
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Yeah Cicerello's isn't as good as it used to be IMO (or maybe part of that is nostalgia) it's claim as the 'best fish'n'chips in the west' rests largely on it's reputation and because it's so old and well-known. I think I've had Sweetlips and yes it is good. Really though, none of the fish'n'chips there are really terrible, Joe's Fish Shack and Kailis are pretty good too. Agree on Char Char.

Rottnest is great for wildlife, from sealife to quokkas. Great diving/snorkelling as well as just swimming, cycling, hiking. The Swan Valley yeah, I think it's a bit over-promoted, it's nothing that special, but since there's a lack of things in Perth we have to advertise some things!

I think I know the one, their strudel is more like puff pastry rather than the traditional strudel. I personally love it too. I prefer crispy/flakey/buttery pastry, and most strudels have the same sort of uninspiring pastry, at least to me. I've been to Singapore many times and actually think there are many great pastry places there, many French places run by or operated by French pastry chefs. I also like the 'Asian' bread shops and bakeries they have there too.

Edited: 1:12 am, January 18, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Thank you for the last tip, really helpful for me as I am now planning the trip to Perth in June 2014 with a group of 12 people. But I cannot be adventure like yourself as I have old people (my parent) and children in the group.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Be aware that June is the beginning of winter and it will be chilly and with luck, there will also be rain.

If you think Rottnest isn't suitable for the elderly or children, be assured that there are hop on, hop off buses that go around the island and also bus tours so you don't have to be Indiana Jones to get around.

Essexs
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Hi trimac20

thanks for your itinerary I am planning our 1st visit in March so has been helpful.

We stop in Singapore from the 2 -4 april so any advice what to do where to stay would be appreciated.

Thank you

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Great trip review. Our own trip starts this Sunday and we are really excited about it.

I was going to skip Rottnest as I didnt want to be stuck on an island with little shade in a the middle of a heatwave. But after reading your reviews, I'll have to rethink that..

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

The picnic areas (right next to the jetty) and central area with all the restaurants, shops etc are just about the only places I saw with shade. However, it's pretty windy on Rottnest and the heat didn't bother me at all. I think it was about 28 degrees when we went. If you care about beautiful landscapes and marine wildlife (as well as the cute quokkas) even just a little bit, I highly recommend a trip there! Make sure you plan your trip on a Tuesday as the Rottnest Express has great savings for under its Telethon Tuesday deal - we saved about AU$50 pax for the Ferry + Adventure Tour package.

To the poster who thought that the island isn't suitable for elderly and children, I went with my elderly parents and they enjoyed the trip. While they didn't walk around a lot (they preferred chilling by the beach at one of the picnic areas), there were enough things to do within walking distance. One of the saltwater lakes (hauntingly beautiful) is just a 10-minute walk away. For the children, there's some sort of inflatable playground just by the beach, next to the jetty.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

Interesting to hear about Corcia, it'd been so long since a Singaporean poster mentioned them that I figured they'd fallen out of favor, or went belly up.

I've often wondered about the popularity of Simmo's too, seriously, I just don't get it.

Lovely report.

Edited: 6:12 am, January 22, 2014
20. Re: one week perth itinerary - comments appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, January 24, 2015