We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card for phone

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
SIM card for phone

Hi all!

I will be in perth from the 17th onwards and to Melbourne from 22nd onwards. I am looking for advices for SIM card in perth which can be used in Melbourne as well. where can I get them and roughly how much will it be?

Thanks!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,771 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM card for phone

Australia has a national telco grid just like Singapore,so any SIM you can use in Perth will work all over the country.

The best one for you will depend on a lot of things. How many phone calls do you want to make? What about text? Local or international? Do you want data? How much?

You can compare prepaid SIM plans here:

whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/…

SIM cards are available at telco stores, convenience stores and all major supermarkets.

One which doesn't seem to be listed on this site but is getting good comments is the Aldi SIM, available in Aldi supermarkets.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM card for phone

There are no Aldi supermarkets in Perth so you would have to wait until Melbourne if you wished to purchase from them.

sg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM card for phone

hi eva, I would not be doing a lot of phone calls. mainly are texts. I think data will be of most use to me. its for navigation in case im lost, im expecting to use it quite often. haha

sg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM card for phone

got it perthiteOz, thanks. guess its out since ill be in perth first then melb.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,771 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM card for phone

Have a look at the Optus $2 a day plan on the website I gave you. You get 500MB of data a day which isn't too bad.

Minimum recharge is $20 which gives you 10 days.

sg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SIM card for phone

Hi Eva! that's certainly promising. Thanks! anyway its minimum recharge is $10 :D

Hampshire
Level Contributor
252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIM card for phone

Just returned from 4 weeks in Australia. We purchased a Lyca sim card (obtained from most convenience stores) at A$2 and A$10 worth of calls. As the calls to the UK are only 25 cents per minute this A$10 lasted the whole 4 weeks. Absolutely true, we must have made 15 or 16 calls to the UK. From our experience this has to be the best value for money in a very expensive country.

sg
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SIM card for phone

Hi Ford, thanks for the advice, btw does it has data?

Anyway does anyone know if we have to unlock our phone to use it with overseas sim card?

Thanks!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SIM card for phone

What does btw stand for?.

On our simple pay as you go mobile it is an easy process to remove the existing sim card and replace with the new.

The new sim card came with a booklet detailing everything you wished to know. Number, top up number, check your balance number etc etc etc.

By the way the number to ring overseas from Australia is 0011 followed by your country code.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SIM card for phone

btw = by the way