We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 48 hours in Perth

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire
Level Contributor
252 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Only 48 hours in Perth

In two weeks time my wife and self will be making a flying visit to Perth. Arriving at the airport at 12.30pm and departing two days later, I know not long enough.

Our plans are, first afternoon walking tour of the city centre. Next day take the free red CAT bus from the hotel to stop 25 Ord Street. Alight and explore Kings Park, treetops walkway etc. Leave park at about 1pm and catch the free CAT bus to Perth Central Railway Station. Purchase two single tickets to Fremantle. Sight see Fremantle for an hour or so and then purchase two single tickets from Captains Cook Cruises and catch the boat back to Perth.

I think that this does mean missing out on Rottnest Island. My question are we wrong to do this, would Rottnest Island be a better bet than the park. Any suggestions would be most welcome

perth wa
Level Contributor
186 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

All sounds good to me.

I think Rottnest in a day would be very rushed so leave things the way they are.

Just a note though, Kings Park is huge and I am not sure how much you can see on foot.

But I am sure someone else on here will know.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

I'd choose Kings Park over Rottnest in a New York minute. You can hit the highlights of Kings Park on foot in a few hours, or you can spend hours there, as there's a huge network of bush tracks. Don't forget your camera.

You might want to check out Little Creatures for a late lunch while you're in Freo.

Perth
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

I agree you don't have enough time to visit Rotto, too rushed. King's Park is beautiful, lots to see and enjoy. The cruise from Freo to Perth or vice versa is also great. I think you could spend a lot more than one hour in Fremantle though if you had the time! Enjoy your very brief trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

You wont get to Fremantle until around 2:30-3:00pm. Are you sure there is a one way cruise with Captain Cook late in the day back to Perth? I also cant see how you would see anything in an hour in Fremantle on foot, and dont forget you also need to get to the harbour to catch the boat.My recommendation is to do something like the Captain Cook cruise to Freo in the morning, then catch the train back and then bus up to Kings Park later in the afternoon.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

Yep that makes better sense to me too. And afternoon makes for far better lighting when photographing the city and river from Kings Park. Less glare.

No need for two river cruises. The sights and commentary are identical each way.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

A tram tour in Fremantle might be worth it. If its Friday, Saturday or Sunday tge Freo markets will be open. There is also a cat service which extends to the Freo art centre

Hampshire
Level Contributor
252 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

Many thanks for all the replies. The last boat to Perth from Fremantle is at 5pm. That was the one I was planning to catch back. However there is a boat from Perth to Fremantle at 12.45 and at 2.15pm. Maybe we will catch one of them and then get the train back. (The train is approx. every 15 minutes). That will give us more flexibility at Fremantle. We will play it by ear on the day.

Anyway once again many thanks for the replies, you have assured us that we have made the right decision. We are both really looking forward to our first visit to Perth

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

The train is every 15 or 20 mins in peak hour, otherwise its more like every half hour, and weekends are also around 30 to 40 mins. There is also an earlier boat around 9 from perth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

Better to catch the # 37 bus from St Georges Terrace to Kings Park as it goes right to the centre of he park. It's quite a long walk from the Red CAT. (This is also free, as are all busses in the central city). This bus runs every 20 mins or so starting around 7:30 am - check the TransPerth website. Then take it back to the Terrace for a short walk to Barrack Square for the ferry. Train service on the Freo line is every 15 minutes all day on weekends but less often at night.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 48 hours in Perth

All sounds great! And I second Little Creatures for lat lunch in fremantle