We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth airport - immigration

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Perth airport - immigration

Hi,

I know this questions is rather subjective but would like to see the general idea/concensus...

We are headed to Perth to see some friends and whilst our passports have a valid 6 month date (I did read the ther post), my son's passport has a photo of him as a newborn baby. He is now 4. His passport expires next year in July and we are headed to Perth in early December.

We have travelled with his passport many times and this year alone he went to Thailand, Malaysia and France and have not had any problems. However, we haven't been to Australia with him and I don't know what the immigration officials are like. e.g I would definitely change it if we were going to the US, because well, they are very sticky and can be nasty. I've never experienced it personally but have seen them be unpleasant to other people in the queue, e.g. shouting at a little old man with silver hair, whilst towering over him, when just talking in a normal pitch would suffice.

The thing is, the tickets are going to be a gift for us and they supposed to be booked within the next 1-2 days. If we change our passports, then we can't book our tickets till a few weeks later (which means the cost of the tickets go up as well).

What would you advise?

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth airport - immigration

Hi

If your son's passport has the correct amount of validity on it (and remember that there needs to be 6 months at the time of departure also) then regardless of what he looks like now you will be fine.

If passports are issued with a 5 year date on them for children then they obviously change remarkably in that time and they are used to it. You will not find an immigration official shout at you here, they are for the most very nice and friendly.

I took my daughter overseas when she was 14 and her passport photo was as a 10 yr old. Huge difference!! No-one even blinked despite the photo being of a lovely little girl and the actual being a hair dyed, make-uped teen!!!

Don't worry you will be fine.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth airport - immigration

Hi,

Thanks very much for your post. I feel better and reassured. And I especially like the ,"You will not find an immigration official shout at you here, they are for the most very nice and friendly." and " No-one even blinked despite the photo being of a lovely little girl and the actual being a hair dyed, make-uped teen!!!" ;-)

I am looking forward to taking my son to Perth!

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth airport - immigration

Hi

Hope you have a wonderful holiday and enjoy your time here.

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth airport - immigration

hi, I've been to Sydney recently with my toddler girl when she is 3 years old. Like your son, her passport photo was taken when she was 3-4 months old. I have no problems with overseas immigration so far.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth airport - immigration

Hi jade

Nice to see you are still around

GD's current photo is when she looked so young but a bit of maturity and make up + a kilo or more different girl, 3 passports on from our we have had never had an issue in Aus.. her photo in the US was 5 months old and they scrutinized her and GS... nothing to do with the photo..just LAX

6. Re: Perth airport - immigration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, October 24, 2014