We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth, February 2014

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Perth, February 2014

Hi

Canadian senior couple visiting Perth for 3 days prior to cruise out of Freemantle. For best experience,

1) Should we stay in Perth and travel to Freemantle on cruise day, or

2) go to Freemantle from airport, stay there and commute to Perth daily for sights.

Cost is definitely a factor,but good time more significant.

Is there convenient public transport from Freemantle to Perth or is taxi required?

If staying in Perth, is Pensione hotel a good choice?

What are must sees in Freemantle and Perth?

Thanks for your help.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Perth, February 2014

Thank you for your detailed and helpful advice.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Perth, February 2014

Hotel pricing in Perth generally is very high due to undersupply and overdemand. Do be aware temps in March tend to be in the high 30Cs/low40Cs.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited: 9:44 am, November 04, 2013
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Perth, February 2014

I, too offer my condolences for your loss.

" Although Fremantle seems the best choice, hotel pricing appears beyond our means compared to 4 star Canadian hotels. "

So where do you intend to stay? Are you still cruising?

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Perth, February 2014

We arrive Perth end of Feb 2014 to start cruise. . Just remarking 4 star prices quite high compared to Toronto or other major Canadian cities. We will keep trying.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Perth, February 2014

Perth prices are high compared to most major cities...there is hope that prices will fall slightly in the foreseeable future due to new hotels being built and a slight down turn in FIFOs but don't hold your breath.

Have you checked out the web site Wotif?

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Perth, February 2014

Interesting because there was an article in The West a couple of weeks ago stating there has been a drop in Perth hotel occupancy since August ...one of the biggest drops worldwide apparently... and many hotels are now offering special deals to fill rooms.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Perth, February 2014

Found the article:

…yahoo.com/thewest/…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Perth, February 2014

I possibly would stay in Freo, take the water taxi to Perth. I have stayed in the area about 15 times with relatives in Fremantle. You can find loads to do in Freo for a day or two,and relax take the tour bus, visit the prison, the Roundhouse, and the maritime museum is fab. The markets are open On certain days. the Red Herring is good to eat in

Perth is a stunning city but will be hot in Feb. The tour bus is good for a view, the Mint is a must, the Bell Tower is good too. River cruises are good, Kings Park is great.

The area is expensive as your credit cards will find out. A taxi from the airport to Freo is about £60 AUssie dollars. Food is also expensive, either in restaurants or in supermarkets, and not always great.

The airport to get through an take 2/3 hours and you may need a lot of patience.

Have fun, you will love it.

19. Re: Perth, February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, December 28, 2013
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Perth, February 2014

Just in case some of the info in smh's post is misunderstood by our British readers, the cost of a taxi is about $60 or AUD60, not £60. I know s/he put "Aussie dollars" after it but the £ sign confuses the issue.