We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

Russia
Level Contributor
104 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

Dear all ! My family and I will be in Perth for about 1 week around New Years. We are with two kids 11yrs and 1 year old so will need some comfort level but still want to see and explore at least something around. Will appreciate your advise on few points:

- we have options to arrive either few days before NY or few days after - is NY something we should be in Perth for (ie similar to Sydney) or we better skip for the sake of better prices ???

- my first bet would be to look for a nice beachside suburb rather than stay in the city and have some trips around to explore - is that a good idea or you would recommend a city ??? Also beachside or riverside ????

- can anyone reccomend some places (suburbs) not far from Perth CBD to have a resort style stay ? Nice beach, caffes and restaurants, water activities, nice walks, eye pleasing surroundings etc etc ???

Thanks in advance !!!!

NB we will move to Adelaide after and i will post a similar question to Adelaide forum - if you are knowledgable on that please come in there as well :)))

Thanks !!!!!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

NY is a lot more low key in Perth than Sydney. There are some public activities and celebrations but nothing like they have in Sydney.

If you stay beachside you would be best off renting a car. You will need to also rent (and pre-book) a car seat for your one year old.

Cottesloe or Fremantle IMO are good for beach, cafes, other (non-water) activities. Not sure what you might mean by "water activities"- you can swim and if you have a surf board or similar you can use those. I don't know of any rental agencies for other water equipment at the beaches. Perth doesn't really have any resorts as such.

Be aware it will be very hot and you should have UV-resistant swim clothing, hats and lots of high factor sun screen especially for your kiddies, if you don't want to go home with sun poisoning or potential skin cancer down the track.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

Agree with Yorkfoodie. My picks are also Cottesloe and Fremantle for great locations for holiday. Cottesloe has restaurants, cafes close to beach and some lawn area to escape the heat. Mainly holiday apartments for rent- you would need to look soon at these. Close to train line, but car more convenient in the heat.

Fremantle has plenty to offer tourists and the local beach ( South Beach) is a great spot as has excellent lawn area and playgrounds- it's a calmer beach ( water wise) than Cott but has a pontoon anchored off shore which the young and not so young enjoy jumping from.

It's wise to go to the beach morning and late afternoon as sun is hot- enjoy a midday siesta!

You could buy some gear cheaply from discount stores eg bucket and spade and foam surfboard and worth getting the UV gear which you can then take on to Adelaide, which will be similarly hot.

Fremantle is more historic and has an 'alternative' vibe. Cottesloe is more upmarket. Have a look at photos on the web.

If its cheaper avoiding New Years then I would do that as nothing super exciting here.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

With small Children and being Xmas / New Year I can only recommend that you stay away from Perth CBD and Northbridge for nightime noise levels. If you want to be entertained and have easy access to all that Perth City has to offer then probably Scarborough Beach is the best place to stay. One of the best Beaches in Australia, with plenty of Cafes and 1 Giant Hotel and lots of B&Bs and self-contained short term rentals. It also boasts 2 of the shiftiest Pubs in Perth. Remember that December / January is very hot, most day are 30 degrees plus. It will also give you access to other great beaches like Trigg and Floreat and best of all - Cottesloe. Fremantle on the other hand is right on the Ocean with every possible you will need to be entertained without leaving, Great trendy little Cafes very old buildings, a harbour a fisherman's wharf and a eclectic population that is great for "people watching".

There are other beachside suburbs that will be okay for you, but are too distant from the action. Remember also that public transport in Perth is less than average.

Have fun

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

I would not have described Scarborough as a suitable beach for small children. The 11 yo maybe but not the 1 yo.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

I agree with Yorkfoodie - Scarborough Beach is not appropriate for a young child. Cottesloe Beach is excellent and very family friendly.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

Also consider Hillarys Harbour Resort:

http://www.hillarysresort.com.au/

Plenty of cafes, shops etc. and lots of activities for the kids:

http://www.hillarysboatharbour.com.au/

http://www.aqwa.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

Agree with AJ. Hillary's is very mum friendly and perfect for 1 and 11 year olds - so much to do but still at a relaxed pace and vibe.

They have previously had live local bands and fireworks on NYE on the beach so maybe email the centre manager via the website link above to see what this years plans are.

8. Re: One week around New Years with a small kid - appreciate help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 30, 2014