We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

Hi All,

May I know which transportation method is most suitable to explore Perth City?

I plan rent a car to drive around Perth city but I was told that it is very difficult to find parking in city.

This is my first trip to Perth. Any expert, please advise.

Thanks,

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,717 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

Depends on what you want to see. Right in the CBD you might as well use the trains/bus. Or park in one of the multi-storey carparks and explore on foot/by bus. Outside of the CBD in most cases a car makes life easier.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

May I know whether there are free parking available during weekend in Perth city?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

No free parking I'm afraid. There are various car parks around the city centre. You could always park in northbridge and walk across or park (for free) at a train station close to Perth catch train in n hop on a bus clipper which are free. There is different ones depending on which route you take. The city itself is not tht big to walk around. Car will be handy to visit outside the city centre, such as kings park, the beach or freo (although there is a train tht will take you there direct)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,311 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

The free CBD buses haven't been called clippers in over 15 years ! If you are going to give advice please make it up to date so as not to confuse the OPs.

OP they are actually referring to the free CAT buses which have circuits around the CBD.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

Hi, thanks a lot for your clarification.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

Train is good to get to the outer areas of Perth even down to the holiday city called Mandurah. Around Perth I always use the CAT buses which are free and very regular (like every 5 minutes). They are designed to get you to most of the Perth touristy sites. They routes are color coded (not the buses} to show you where they go. The information bureaus like in the CBD have maps etc. Taxis OK during the day but expensive. Night time very hard to get one. Parking very expensive in Perth so wouldn't hire a car unless you plan to leave the CBD. Cheers.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

Is there any free parking after 6pm in Perth city?

Would like to return the car early if no free parking after 6pm.

No worth to pay 30 Aussie dollar just park the car overnight.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

No, not safe free parking anyway. Leave the car unattended late at night and hey presto...no car in morning.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

Most street parking is free after 6 pm. I've never had a problem and my car has always been there! The problem is that spots are limited and there may not be any near your hotel.

Here is a guide to all the parking with current prices: http://www.cityofperthparking.com.au/

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which transportation is most suitable to explore Perth City?

I think perth is among the safe city in the world.