We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesex
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

We shall be staying in Perth for one night (Room Only at the Esplanaden Hotel). Can anyone recommend good, reasonable priced restaurants near Marine Terrace/Harbourside within walking distance preferably. Will anyone also have recently been there to comment on bus/taxi service.

Would also like comments on restaurants in hotel, if anyone could do so.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

The Esplanade Hotel is within walking distance of many quality restaurants and cafes. Maya is one of our favourites, along with Char Char Bull, Little Creatures, Pizza Bella Roma, Sala Thai - the list is endless.

Had the buffet once at the hotel. It was perfectly edible.

fremantlerestaurant.com/fremantle-restaurant…

Bus/taxi service to? If you are ambulatory you can walk to the cruise ship from the Esplanade. Just dropped off/picked up family members who were on a cruise and many people were walking to/from the bus and train station.

Edited: 9:19 am, July 09, 2013
Middlesex
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

Thank you for responding so soon; yes, I am familiar with one or two of the restaurants you mention having researched them on line. It is, however, always nice to hear 'live' views.

Since pasting my enquiry on TA, we have noted the free bus service running around the centre of Perth. Presumably it is free to visitors and not just residents - or is there a charge for visitors? We have an evening in Perth, so plan to get about as much as possible.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

The CAT buses in Perth and Fremantle are free to all- they are labelled "Red Cat" "Blue Cat" etc according to route and have a stylised leaping cheetah-looking critter painted down the side. I would not recommend using the public transport after dark though.

Middlesex
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

Why? Not as bad as London, I hope.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

"Why? Not as bad as London, I hope."

I have travelled to/from London late at night by train on more than one occasion and never had a problem. Similarly, the majority of PT patrons in Perth would say the same thing. However, I would not catch public transport (bus or train) in Perth after around 7.30pm due to the behaviour of some members of the public. Of course, 90% of trips are trouble free but it is the 10% that are not that sees me preclude PT from my local travel arrangements at night.

Perth CAT buses don't run after 7.30pm (except Friday nights - 9.00pm) or after 6.30pm in Freo (except Friday nights - 8.00pm) so not an issue with those.

By all means catch PT in to Perth from Freo but plan on catching a cab back IMO.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

That's funny, Perthite, we use PT at night in our overseas destinations (including London) without a qualm and only under special circumstances (like large events when there's hundreds of people travelling) in Perth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

I'm not sure what's funny, YF? We are in agreement.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,237 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

I meant, amusing, as in "a happy coincidence, how similar we are" :-). Yes, we are in agreement.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

:-)

Brain fade..

Middlesex
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-cruise stopover - Fremantle. ?Bars/Restaurants

Thank you all for the most explanations regarding travelling around Fremantle. We shall certainly bear this in mind; it will be our first visit to Perth. Regards.