We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Hi All!

I'm a medical student in London, UK planning an elective placement for a month at the Royal Perth Hospital, which I'm really excited about! Unfortunately I was told recently that the hospital based accommodation I was expecting to stay in is no longer available. I'm due to fly out there on 19th August and have no where to stay for 4 weeks!

I have looked into hotels and bed and breakfasts but they are ridiculously expensive for 4 weeks. I'm not keen on homestay (where you live with an Australian family) as I would like my own privacy. I am considering backpackers lodges...but 4 weeks in a backpackers, and having to dress up formally to go to work in the hospital, the working life and backpackers life..the two don't fit.

But honestly open to most things now, desperate for advice. If anyone out there has any words of wisdom I would be sooo grateful!

Edited: 2:10 pm, July 01, 2013
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Hi If you still havent found anything then this place seems better than a lot of hostels in Perth and convenient to RPH: Even if you spent first week somewhere like this then some share arrangement might come up when you are here

http://www.kangarooinn.com.au/

Reviews

tripadvisor.com.au/…UR165150399

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Your best bet might be to put an ad in the quokka newspaper for a one months share accommodation, you would have one other sharing but that is better than some of the other options! If you got someone who flies in and out they might not be there most of the time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

I know you are not keen on a homestay (wait for the but) but... just thinking that there are LOADS of empty nest Uni academics living around UWA who would have an abundance of room. Otherwise, you may have luck contacting UWA and just asking - there are always flyers around the place for rooms to rent

Another thought is housesitting. We use this site http://aussiehousesitters.com.au/ - you could probably tee up a house sit for most of your stay and just rent a room somewhere for the few nights not covered. Means moving around, but also means cheap rent & privacy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

This maybe a long shot but you could try The University of Western Australia they have a service for assisting students with accomodation www.housing.uwa.edu.au/off-campus/temporary I hope this link works, otherwise google uwa accomodation for students. Good luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

thanks guys! taken all your advice on board...

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Lol if u get desperate can always pitch a tent in the local park only 5 mins from RPH....

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,959 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

Oh, that's a _terrific_ idea...<rolls eyes>

So glad you could join TripAdvisor just to drop that little pearl of wisdom............

Don't listen, M-Student12, that park is no place to pitch a tent.

18. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, August 09, 2013
19. Re: Student in Desperate need of Advice: Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 11, 2014