We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Perth

Hi All,

This is my 1st trip to Perth and will be there for 2 weeks with my husband. Briefly, we are intending to cover Perth > Mandurah (1 day) > Bunbury > Cowaramup (1 day) > Margaret River (3 days) > Augusta > Pemberton (1 day)> Wadpole (1 day) > Denmark (2 days) > Albany (1 day) > then back to Perth.

As this is the 1st time that I am driving in WA, I am a little concerned on the road conditions etc during winter time in Perth, is there anything that I will need to be watchful of, other than roos which I'm hearing will be roaming around at dusk. Are there any routes which are winding or stretches of narrow roads that I need to be aware of?

Appreciate all your kind advice and input on how realistic the intended itinerary is.

Edited: 1:15 am, June 17, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Perth

Hi, I'll be touching down at Perth Airport around 6:30AM in the morning, likely to be early morning that I set off from the airport.

JP: Would you mean that the first part of the journey is to drive through the forest?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Perth

To be honest, since you admit you have limited experience in long distance driving, If you're arriving at 6.30am then you'll have had very poor sleep for the previous day and not really be in good shape to undertake a long drive on unfamiliar roads in different driving conditions. Please do as AJ suggests and stop in Perth for at least your first day so you can go home safe and well (and so can the other road users).

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Perth

Agree with Yorkfoodie and AJ. Stay first night in Perth. If you don't want to be in city type environment then perhaps consider the Perth Hills spots I suggested as more a country type feel and some glorious bush walks. Only 30 minute drive from airport and then easy to get away next day-either south to Margaret River or Albany-whichever you choose.

The forest I mentioned being first part of drive to Albany is eucalyptus forest (gum trees), not tropical rainforest. It's cleared quite away from the highway, but you certainly feel as though you are driving through bush land. Passing lanes are reasonably frequent. However, at places further south in your travels eg Pemberton area the forest/bush is closer to the road and the roads narrower and winding- as AJ said the speed limit is much lower because of this.

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Perth

Thank you so much for all the comments once again! Will definitely heed all your advice to stay around Perth area for a good rest before heading south. A question on car rental, I'm contemplating with Bayswater, is that the same as 'No birds'? These 2 websites offered different quotations, and I do notice that their contact details are different? Any idea, as I thought both are supposed to be the same operator?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Perth

That's really weird, the prices themselves are the same but it's as if they've all been shifted along a level on the Bayswater site. No idea why but it would be worth enquiring- if you get the same car for a lower price it's all good. That might be the difference, I have no idea- the cars themselves may be slightly different models. It's a mystery.

Nedlands
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Perth

Agree with AJ that doing the Perth to Albany trek first off is the way to go, subject to the landing time in Perth.

Made the same trip a few weeks ago stopping off at the Woolsheds in Williams(a bit expensive), Kojonup and Mount Romance in Mt Barker before arriving in Albany in a timely manner.

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Perth

Hi, wanted to check if anyone had experience with car rental from Bayswater. For the 'Top cover', is the coverage applicable also for windscreen, roof etc of the car or just the body? Under M2000, the company offers another level of insurance - Premium CVG, is that common?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Perth

You really need to contact Bayswater to ask this. I can't find anything on the website regarding this (I'd guess the whole car is covered, but that's just a guess and not to be relied upon).

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Perth

Hi, have decided that since its out 1st time there, we will not drive that far south to Albany. We will be taking our time to move around Margaret River Region, Augusta followed by Pemberton. Is Pemberton worth staying over for the night? Am thinking of taking the route from Pemberton>Manjimup>Donnybrook>Bunbury on the way back to Perth.

Is this route worth looking at or is it still advisable to go through the Route 10 to return to Bunbury?

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Perth

Pemberton is an entirely different experience than the Margaret River region. It is surrounded by Karri rainforest. These trees are the 3rd tallest in the world and there are 3 you can climb if you feel adventurous. There are some lovely drives or walks thru the forest . Also wineries and galleries and the Lavender & Berry Farm is a great spot for a morning/afternoon tea/coffee.

So IMO, yes, definitely worth the overnighter.

Return to Perth via Manjimup, Bridgetown,Balingup, Donnybrook etc for a different route through some picturesque rolling countryside. All the towns are worth stopping at for a break/stroll if you feel so inclined. I usually dont bother much with Manjimup (being more the commercial centre of the region) but thats just me.