We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter wear for August in Perth?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
437 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Winter wear for August in Perth?

I’ll be traveling to Perth in late August, and I’ve read online that average hi/lo temperatures are around 20 to 8 Celsius.

While winters are much colder in North America (20 to 8 Celsius is what we get in late spring), I’ll be doing a lot of walking outdoors while I’m there.

I plan to go about either in a light parka or heavy jacket + jeans + beanie cap. Will this be alright or is this overkill? I’ll wear what I’m comfy with, but I don’t want to stick out too much as someone from out of town!

Please be nice. I’ve never been to `Oz before, and the seasons are all in reverse =)

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

Layers are good. Just come back from walk today(glorious along the river at Peppermint Grove) and had on shorts, T shirt and light warm zip top which I took off. You might even get some days for shorts! Most likely jeans, T shirt and jacket- but not like your heavy one-fleece are popular here. Beanie good idea as is a scarf. Actually can get a bit nippy here at night. Oh and a raincoat as if the fronts come through, which we locals want, then can be quite heavy rain.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

I've lived in Perth for almost five years and have never needed more than a fleece jacket. I'm from CO, and find the winters here incredibly mild. It's mandarin season, how cold can it be?

If you don't want to stand out, wear black. It seems to be the color of choice here :-)

Seriously, you won't stand out no matter what you wear. Don't even give that a thought.

perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

That sounds fine. You may not need the heavy parka and beanie but the winds are quite bitter when the sun is not out. Perth however has many sunny days in winter.

Not to worry, everyone dresses in their own style here. Its all okay.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

That's great to hear guys!

I'll make do with fleece, but I'll be packing a light Gore-tex parka in my suitcase just in case.

I've heard August isn't actually a good time to visit Perth (was supposed to go to NT), but this city on the "far edge" of Australia always intrigued me.

I'm not sure if this should be posted in a separate thread--- but would Rottnest still be worth visiting in August? I'm just interested in the forts & museums (as it's too cold to go to the beach).

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

This may be of some help. Weather stats for Perth last August:

bom.gov.au/climate/…IDCJDW6111.201208.shtml

Although the weather can be unpredictable at least you can see what it "might likely" be like. There are long periods of fine sunny weather then a cold front will lob in and dump rain and usually clear pretty quickly. Its not often we get lengthy periods of solid rain.

I say be flexible and "wing it" when you get here. Keep an eye on the forecasts before you depart to have some kind of loose plan what days you might do what activities on.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,214 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

If the weather forecast isn't too grim August is a great time to visit Rottnest because it has a lot fewer visitors :-) Much easier to get around.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

At night the temperature can drop to around 0 so be prepared for that. In the winter mornings I wear a coat/trench to work. But during the day if I'm not that active, would wear jeans, boots, tshirt, sweater and jacket (not too heavy, maybe leather). I'm pretty sure I've never worn shorts in winter, except with tights!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

Alright, thanks for all the replies! I'm looking forward to seeing Perth!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

I love Rottnest in winter - if you search for old threads you should find a few discussing this very thing. It's very different to rotto in Summer.

I'm a Perth native and I find if quite cold here. Have lived in London and Melbourne too. I agree with the others the weather can be absolutely beautiful - blue skied days that just make you so grateful to be alive (though the nights are often cold at these times and if it is going to be zero, this will be the time) - but it can also rain heavily and be quite cold. You'd be unlucky to have your whole holiday wet & cold though. The normal weather pattern is for 2-3 days of rain as a front comes through, then a few days of sunshine. If you have a look at the weather stats posted above, you'll see what I mean. Having a flexible itinerary will help get around any rain as suggested & you won't have any probs with touristy things being booked out.

I suggest getting out of the city as much as possible - rotto will be great, the swan valley is also beautiful. There are lots of beautiful walks in the national parks just out of perth.

Have a great time :)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,542 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter wear for August in Perth?

Perth weather can be strange. As others have said there are many days during winter when the sun shines and it can become quite warm in the middle of the day, therefore layers as Jean suggested are ideal, especially for day time. When it decides to rain, which isn't often enough to please us locals, it usually only tends to do so for a few minutes at a time. Strange as I said. Sometimes it can be raining on one side of the street and dry on the other.

You'll definitely need warm clothing for the early mornings, evenings and night time. but again the layers will be useful. When you get cold, just pile another lot on top. Jeans will be ideal. You really don't need to dress up. Perth is a very casual laid back sort of place so as long as you're neat and tidy all will be well.