We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth to Ayer's rock.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Perth to Ayer's rock.

We will be visiting our daughter and family in Perth and would like to go to Ayers rock. Is there a cost effective way to travel there? Is there an airline that flies from Perth directly to Ayers rock or do we have to go back to Sydney and then to that site?

What other short trips are enjoyable leaving from Perth for the family? There would be two children ages 5 and 6.

Thank you.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

You'd presumably fly via Alice, rather than going all the way to Sydney.

There are no direct flights.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,026 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

Looks like all the flights are via Sydney, though depending on the time of year there may be direct flights. The main players are Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin, with Jetstar the cheapest, though once you add baggage and other amenities for each leg the cost may come close to Qantas, which is a full service airline.

For short trips, have a look over to the right of the screen at (under Top Questions) "Trip Reports", and further down at "Perth trip ideas". You could also look at the Perth section of the WA Tourism website:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Inas, the big players all route through Sydney. Not sure there are any short haul flights from Alice Springs to Yulara.

Edited: 8:50 pm, April 01, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

Qantas fly daily from Alice to Ayers Rock.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

You could fly Perth-Alice Springs direct on Qantas and take a 2-3 day coach tour from there to Uluru.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,026 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

Just checked, seems to be only one direct flight per day Perth-Alice Springs, which gets in well after the only flight from Alice Springs to Uluru. The same for the return trip. So it would require an overnight stay each way. At least with the Sydney or Cairns routes there's just a three hour layover.

Or you could take Numbat's suggestion.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

<<Or you could take Numbat's suggestion.>>

eg - aatkings.com/au/…

Not cheap though! There are other companies that operate from Alice Springs. To be perfectly honest, I spent a wonderful 2 days in and around Alice itself - not the iconic Rock admittedly, but some amazing scenery and a real sense of the Red Centre.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

There is stuff for the kids to do in Alice Springs. Wouldn't like to contemplate the 5&6 yr old on a coach trip.

See what works for you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

I too would do a 2 or 3 day tour ... visit the rock and Kings Canyon on the way back in a circle.

I did it with a tour company and it was fun ... a night before and after in Alice Springs, coach to the rock and 2 nights there, then a night at Kings Canyon and back to Alice.

Fabulous trip .. and wonderful scenery.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

My husband and I are visiting Australia in 2014. We have relatives in Melbourne and friends in Perth. We want to go to Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Cairns and maybe Ayer's Rock. The primary issue with the latter is not wanting to bounce around the country, however, as others have found, there are no direct flights from Perth to Ayer's Rock (I was hoping to fly Perth to Ayer's Rock and then Ayer's Rock to Cairns). So we would have to overnight in Alice Springs. I am not opposed to taking a coach tour from Alice Spring to Ayer's Rock and back. It just depends if we can fit it in with our budget and time constraints. Which tour company did you use to go from Alice Springs to Ayer's Rock?

Are there flights from Ayer's Rock to Cairns? Or would we have to circle back to Alice Springs?

Thanks for any help.

Cindy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,521 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth to Ayer's rock.

Hi,

Yes there is a direct flight from Ayers Rock to Cairns. There used to be a direct flight with Qantas from Perth to Ayers Rock but they cancelled that one a few years ago.

PER - departs - 12.25pm arrives ASP - 4.35pm on QF1938 duration 2.35mins

ASP - departs - 1.55pm - arrives AYQ - 2.50pm - QF1941 - duration 55mins

ASP - deoarts 5.26pm - aerrives CNS - 8pm - QF1948 - duration 2hrs

Gives a day exploring Alice which IMO is a fabulous way to see NT.

Tours from Alice to Ayers Rock - there a heaps ..

http://www.ulurutours.com.au/

www.emurun.com.au/tours_d.php…

aatkings.com/tours/AccordionTourSearchForm…

adventuretours.com.au/category/…alice-springs

http://www.therocktour.com.au/

Edited: 7:31 pm, October 09, 2013