We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in a campervan

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Three days in a campervan

We are emigrating to Perth from Ireland next month, which is exciting and a bit scary as I haven't even been for a holiday. Anyway, I bought a groupon voucher for three days camper van hire, and would love some suggestions on where to go out of the city for a few days. It will be me and my husband and our 11 year old son, we love beaches, wildlife, anything really as it will all be new to us. I have had a search and got a few ideas but am unsure of distances and what is realistic in only three days. Thanks in advance.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in a campervan

Busselton? Balingup/Nannup/Bridgetown?

The options are endless really. So much to see and do in this massive state.

Perth
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in a campervan

If you're looking at going next month then you will need to head down south- it is too hot for a newly arrived Irish family to head in any other direction and the distances between towns are too great when you go east or north- and west just gets you wet..

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,535 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in a campervan

Be aware you will have to stay in a caravan park as free camping is not allowed. If you have a look t the WA Tourism website you could get some ideas about where to go and where the caravan parks are:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in a campervan

For your first trip away, definitely Busselton or Margaret River region would be far enough and in March or April this area - known as "down south" would probably be the best option.

Bear in mind that, as your son will be in school from Feb you will head "down south" for a long weekend - when every one else does - so booking a site will be imperative.

Alternatively, you could go to Cervantes or Lancelin, which is a little way north. They are both great little towns for a long weekend but there is nothing there besides the beach...You would definitely get the feel of an Aussie summer long weekend though.

Welcome to our great State :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in a campervan

Thanks for the great replies, I really like the sound of Margaret River (love the wine!). But I'm going to check out all these suggestions (mainly bevcause I've no idea about any of them!).We will probably go in March , as it will take us a bit of time to settle in and acclimatize after we land in Perth, and there will be enough excitement just exploring the city. If anyone can recommend a nice campsite I'd really appreciate it, they all look amazing when you are used to camping in rainy Ireland! Beach recommendations would be great too, I love beaches (even Irish ones) so can't wait to see a few in the sun, looks to be loads to choose from! Starting to get excited now!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days in a campervan

I would definitely recommend Dunsborough/marg river as it has most options for your family. From beaches, fishing to wineries and different food testing. Your son will love Marg River Choc factory and Simmos Icecreamery (which had its origins in Northern Ireland). Just check dates you intend to travel in March as its an early Easter this year and caravan parks will book up early!

7. Re: Three days in a campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, January 07, 2013
8. Re: Three days in a campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 09, 2014