We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Perth

I have to say there are not many reviews on here for this time of year.

Are we brits still going on holiday to Perth or as it priced itself out of the market.

We were thinking of going back to Perth next year but it is soooooo expensive.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth

"We were thinking of going back to Perth next year but it is soooooo expensive."

It certainly hasn't priced itself out of the market. Still many tourists as it is such a beautiful place.

Cost is relative. If we had gone on cost, we would never have travelled to the UK in the 80's & 90's. Try 33p/$1 - now that is pain!

It is possible to travel to Perth & WA and not spend mega bucks. It is mind set and research - lots of personal research IMO.

Considered House sitting/swapping? Any self contained accommodation = minimal eating out. There are some great private short term rentals a little furher out of Perth that offer great value on places like Gumtree. (Just don't ever send money.)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth

What reviews are you looking for ? Hotel reviews - there are tonnes given its the peak season. Trip reports here in the forums ? Well most are travelling now and will do their trip reports when they get home.

You haven't mentioned what areas you have searched or where you were hoping to visit. Ie Perth CBD, Fremantle, the coast, the north, the south.

Accom in the actual city is in shortage due to the FIFOs but if you are looking at staying elsewhere there are a range of accom styles and prices.

You also haven't listed your budget - so "expensive" is relative. Differs to each persons budget and expectations.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth

<<We were thinking of going back to Perth next year but it is soooooo expensive.>> That's funny - the last time i was in London I thought IT was expensive. It also had none of the advantages of Perth....... Which is why so many Brits don't just visit Perth, they move here.

Edited: 6:52 pm, December 19, 2012
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth

600,000 visitors this year. Visitor numbers from the UK dropped 7% but from China the number rose by 34%! Overall WA has had a 3% drop in visitor numbers in 2012. Business travel went against the trend and showed an increase.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth

You can stay in cheaper accommodation, but need to book way in advance.

Some self contained apartments are plentiful if you know where to look and do book in advance.

Let us know when you intend to come, when you'd like to stay and we can guide you.

The house sitting idea is a good one. A lot of Aussies tend to pack up their caravan in May and head north and around Australia for a few months. I know of one couple who lock all their prized possessions in one room, and have a couple from the UK come and stay .. they have the rest of the house to use except for that one room. They've done it several times as the Aussies are so happy their home is looked after, insurance is OK with it, the Brits are happy and they leave the home in the same conditon as they moved in.

It can be a happy medium for both families.

So check into that as well.

A holiday can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be.

perth
Level Contributor
199 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth

Although Perth can be expensive, there are more options than before to suit all types of travelers. Casual cafes and burger bars have opened up serving affordable meals.

hotels are stupidly expensive and apartments in the city centre are almost as expensive. Apartments along the coast are cheaper. Another option is self contained apartments or units on www.airbnb.com or staying at a hosts home.

Perth
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth

I agree perth is VERY expensive. I live here and am yet to travel to a place thats as expensive. Places like Vegas, new york, miami and paris sometimes were a bit more expensive, but considering they are major major tourist destinations and perth is a little isoated (yet great) city, it just surprised me.

That said, i think its worth visiting. I take for granted everything that is to offer in perth and would recommended it to anyone!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,349 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth

If you don't think isolation plays a part in jacking up prices Krafty, you haven't considered economy of scale.

9. Re: Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 28, 2013