We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report November 2012

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Exeter Devon
Level Contributor
847 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report November 2012

My wife and I have just returned from 16 days in Perth and beyond and had a wonderful holiday here is a summary of our trip. We were advised that the flight we had booked with Malaysian Airlines for a Wednesday morning was likely to be heavily delayed and they had rebooked us on a Wednesday evening flight which meant we would have to rearrange our schedule slightly. We decided to bite the bullet and got them to book us on the flight the previous night Tuesday although we would have a 12 hr wait at KL airport. As a gesture Maylasian Airlines gave us a free night at a Hyatt Hotel in KL which was a real bonus. Our flight was delayed by about 40 minutes when we eventually arrived in Perth. We arrived at 15.55 which was getting a bit tight for picking up our car hire from Bayswater Car Hire. Our luck was in this year we cleared passport control and the red channel in the customs hall within 30 minutes and were on our way in a taxi to pick the car up. This is the second time we have hired from Bayswater and we paid the full insurance CDW we duly returned the car 16 days later without any problems. Would certainly use Bayswater again. We were staying with our daughter in Innaloo for the fisrt night. We got the train into into Perth the following morning and had a wander around and a spot of lunch. We then headed out to our accommodation at Seashells Scarborough Beach for 3 nights which we were very pleased with. Review posted. We didn't do a great deal while we were at Scarborough Beach mainly relaxing and having good long walks along the beach area. We had one meal in the evening at La Vela in Scarborough Beach Road which was actually very good it is about 10 minutes walk away. We also had breakfast one morning at Wild Fig by the beach which was incredibly popular. We though it was reasonable for breakfast.

We left on the Monday morning and headed down to Margaret River where we stayed last year, again we were staying at Seashells Yallingup review posted which we thought was very good lovely grounds. On the way down we popped into Dunsborough to stock up before we checked in. Dunsborough is quite a pleasant little town. We then called into Bunker Bay and on the way we had a look at the Bunker Bay resort hotel which looked a bit tired. The beach was very relaxing and we had a coffee at Bunker Bay cafe overlooking the beach. Very enjoyable. We then checked into Seashells and had a walk down to the beach at Yallingup and had a walk along the beach before returning to our apartment. The following morning we visited some places we had been to before such as Vasse Olive Oil Factory which is very interesting to have a look around. My wife thinks their body lotion is wonderful. We also visited Bootleg Brewery for some beer, the chocolate factory and Laurance winery which we think is a delightful place overlooking a lake. There is some very good artwork there and even the toilets are amazing! We also visted a very expensive furniture factory which was interesting we then headed back to the beach for a nice relaxing walk. The following day we headed to Busselton which we have never been to before. It was certainly worth a visit for a couple of hours and we had a lovely walk along the jetty. We had a wander around the town and had a look at an exhibition by Busselton art society and I even ended up buying an original watercolour as a memory. We called into to the wood fired bread bakery on the way back and bought some delicious freshly baked bread. Interesting bakery the fresh bread is available between 4 and 5 each day. Well worth a visit and buying a loaf. We left Yallingup and headed for Denmark had a stop for lunch in Pemberton and drove down to Walpole were we went into the very helpful tourist office and got some guides. We stopped at the wonderful Treetop Walk which we thought was absolutely wonderful and we were incredibly lucky with the weather it was a beautiful day and you could see clearly for miles. We checked into our accommodation at Ayania Spa Retreat which was extremely relaxing and very well appointed highly recommended review published. The following morning the owner Gadi introduced himself and gave us some very useful tips about the surrounding area he also recommended Pepper and Salt which he claims is the best restaurant in the area and I think is only open for evening meals on a Friday. We went to Matildas winery and had a look at the restaurant and booked a table even though they were fully booked the fitted us in later on. Pepper and Salt was excellent review published certainly the best meal we had in WA. We also headed down to Williams Bay/Greens Pool and Elephant Rocks which I thought were absolutely stunning, the beaches are magnificent some of the best beaches I have ever seen anywhere in the world. I could leave my wife frying on the beach and walk a long way without seeing another soul. The place was very quiet and peaceful even on a Saturday. I occsionally met local people on the beach and asked about recommendations for wineries and eating places. Everybody was so incredibly friendlly and helpful especially when they recognised my foreign accent! There are so many incredible places to visit in this absolutely delightful area it is difficult to know where to begin and so many wineries to choose from. We went to The Lake Cafe and winery for a coffee and ended up buying more wine and body lotion. We also visited Forrest Hills and bought more wine. Lake Cafe is in a delightful location overlooking the lake as the name implies. We also went to Wilsons Inlet and had a lovely walk. Well worth a visit to all of these places.

We eventually left Denmark after three nights however I must say that we were very impressed with this area and would hope to go back one day, there is so much to see and do. We headed off to Albany for a two night stay at Hideaway Haven which was wonderful excellent food review published. We arrived in Albany on a Sunday afternoon and went to the very helpful tourist office for information on the area. We had a coffee in Dylans On The Terrace which was very good and very popular. We had breakfast in Hideaway Haven and noticed they had Naked Bean Coffee which had been recommended to me and it was very good. I was advised that we would have to go to the factory in the centre of town to buy it which we duly did that morning. Naked Bean is a very interesting place and very busy they had a wonderful selection of coffee so I brought some home to drink. The weather cleared up much to my wifes delight so we headed off to Little Beach which about 30 minutes drive from Albany yet another fantastic beach and so quiet hardly anybody there. Sadly our two nights in Albany were over and we headed back up The Albany Highway which seems to go on for ever for us Brits! We stopped at Kojonup and went to the visitor's centre then headed down the road to The Country Kitchen Cafe for some more Naked Bean coffee as recommended! The next stop was Williams were we stopped at The Wool Shed very interesting place another good stopping place. We eventually got back to Scarborough Beach were the intention was to spend another 3 nights seeing our daughter but unfortunately she had got a new job working for a travel agent and they sent her off on a training course to Sydney for 2 weeks. Sods Law but good for her personally.

We had to alter our itinerary slightly and stayed at Beach Manor for one night review published. That evening we ate at Grill'd and thought it was a great place, never had a burger for years but it was very good, very busy and a good atmosphere. BYO a real bonus.

We checked into Seashells again for three nights a good 3 for 2 deal with Trailfinders. We went to Hilary's Boatyard which was quite interesting and worth a visit. My wife being the real tourist that she is bought some UGG boots! Australian ones which were very good value. They are mega expensive here and genuine Aussie, made in Vietnam. We had fish and chips at Hilary's another treat! I had a small ice cream which was massive! An enjoyable visit.

We had the last two days relaxing and walking unfortunately our time was up and we had to head back to Kuala Lumpur for three nights before flying home.

My apologies that I have rambled on for so long however we had a wonderfull holiday and the weather was perfect for us every day.

I cannot recommend WA highly enough everybody was so friendly and helpful, however never trust an Aussie when asking for driving distances. Just down the road is usually an hour away and 10 minutes can mean anything! It just illustrates what a vast place Australia is compared to the UK.

Finally I must thank so many of you for your wonderful suggestions and helpful comments and for taking the time to answer my numerous questions. Without your help we would not have known about so many wonderful placesThis just illustrates what a wondeful website this is if people use it properly.

Once again many thanks for all your kind help. Now saving for the next trip!

Bootle45

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,028 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Thanks Bootle45 for your report. Haven't been down in those beautiful southern coast towns for years and you have made me very envious.

Pleased you had such a wonderful holiday.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Thanks for your trip report. Yes, the Walpole/Denmark/Albany area is a wonderful part of the state. Had to laugh about driving distances-bit like me doing a walk in your home territory.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Excellent report Bootle. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went.

Now that you're accustomed to long distances, next visit include Esperance. Its a tad further than "just down the road" but the beaches there will leave you gobsmacked! :))

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Great report and loved the fact that everyone was friendly to you. It is a beautiful part of the world - you'll be back :-)

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Excellent report and it's good to see you had a 'relaxing' (x5) time!!!! I'm being flippant..... :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,311 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Good to finally see your trip report. Sounds like you ate your way round the southwest !!!!

Also sounds like it was a nice relaxing pace - not overly rushed like we read sometimes.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Thanks for your very comprehensive trip report. We have never travelled as far south as Denmark and Albany but will keep your trip report handy for our trip!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Great report ... I was one of the lucky people to meet you .. and I hope you do come back and check out heaps more ... and we do have the best beaches in the world...! And yes, everything is "just down the road" as A J says ... so you learnt something about us.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful festive season.

Exeter Devon
Level Contributor
847 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report November 2012

Thank you all for your very kind comments much appreciated.

My only regret is that I never once saw a kangaroo!

Do they still exist or have you eaten them all?

Regards

Bootle45

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report November 2012

I usually have a dozen or more in my paddock every evening. We've had to put up special fencing to keep them off Mrs Numbat's roses. They are pests and you should have taken some home with you!