We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perth western australia by motorhome

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
3 posts
Save Topic
perth western australia by motorhome

hi all we are a family travelling to perth in August to see your Beautiful country for the very first time

We will stay in Western Australia / Perth for three months

For economy reasons we are intending to hire a motorhome and be self contained

We have 5 children however our dilemma is who to book with in AUSTRALIA ?,

We have no experience with a motorhome rental company in Australia

We have been communicating with a small family business, Avabreak Motorhome Rentals, due to their email responses being prompt friendly and very helpful and moreover reasonably priced for our holiday motorhome rental.

Has anyone good experience of this company or perhaps can make OTHER recomendations through personal experience ?.

We would prefer to choose a smaller owner operator businesses, as personal service is a priority.

thank you in advance the travelling hillbillies

Perth
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

Yes, Motorhomes can be a bit of a problem.It all depends how far you want to drive in those three month. Please do not underestimate the state of our roads, even if it's called a HWY, it does not mean foot down and no problem. Also the distances should not be underestimated. For example, I hired a motorhome the year before last and drove from Perth to Ningaloo Reef (Exmouth) and back to Perth via Karringini National Park and Meekatharra. It's about a 3000km round trip. We did it in 17 days and should have had at least 3 weeks to really enjoy all the places we stayed. I can understand your choice for personal service. Please make sure, before you book, that your car hire company has got depots in at least every major city in Australia. If not, how do they deal with a breakdown? Do you get a new car and how or do you need to fly your family on your own expense to the next bigger place to get a new car? Also, do they offer 24 hour road side assistance? Please be aware, that all car hire companies in Australia have got the policy, that you are not allowed to drive the hire vehicle on unsealed roads. We have many of those. Even if you hire a 4WD. If you are planning to go on the Gibb River Road for example, you have to get permission of the hire company first. Otherwise the car is not insured. But your decision to get a camper van is excellent and you will enjoy every minute of it. Also please make sure, you always have plenty of water in your tank. In more remote areas you will have problems getting water. Petrol stations have most of the time a hoist, but it pays to have your own.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

Madel

thank you very much for your excellent advice, as for sealed roads we certainly had not been made aware of that problem,

more research will be done, and thank you for ALL your OTHER general tips

god bless

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

Majority of unsealed WA roads are in the northern and north eastern parts of the state (does not include the NW Coastal Highway) with the exception of SW forestry roads. If you plan to drive towards the Kimberley region, make sure you don't have a North of the 26th Parallel exclusion on your contract. Southern WA roads are generally excellent.

Melbourne Victoria
Level Contributor
50 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

I doubt that you will find the need to travel on unsealed roads to see most of WA, except some short sections into some national parks, such as Kalbarri and Karijini (both highly recommended). Gibb River Road would be good, but it is 4WD.

You can drive from Kununurra to Augusta (over 3,000 km) on excellent two-lane roads, but Broome might be your upper limit. Esperance and Kalgoorlie are rewarding too, and also good roads to both. There is no "loop" in WA north, so a trip to Broome, or Exmouth etc, require backtracking, but you plan it so you see certain attractions up and others coming back.

A 6-berth motorhome for that length of time will not be cheap at all. But have a look at Getaboutoz, Calypso, and Britz as companies to get quotes from. There are two alternatives that would be less expensive - buy or rent a people mover and camp, use cabins, or hostel private and family rooms. Quite feasible north of Perth, but south of Perth before October the weather will be failry wintry, and tents become much less attractive. Hostels and park cabins everywhere though.

Good luck - travelling with five children must be a great challenge!

Perth, West...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

This is great, people are talking about us. Avabreak Motorhome Rentals are a small family business with a huge fleet of one Mercedes Winnebago 6 berth. Identical to the largest motorhome offered by 2 of the larger companies and less compact than offered by the 2 New Zealand based companies here in Perth.

We will be expanding the fleet in the future,as what we started as one vehicle which we would rent out to recover costs so we can use it for the rest of the year ourselves has backfired, as more people want to hire it than we expected.

We recently met a Swiss group confined to a caravan park for 5 days because their hire motorhomes clutch had burned out. They were somewhat peeved that despite the major company having offices in all Aussie main cities, emergencies such as theirs are handled from Brisbane!

Another couple had lost the keys to their rental 6 berth. The spare keys were not in Perth where the vehicle was picked up from, but again over east, that's a bit like someone in London having a spare set in Italy!

We think we can do better.

It's true, we don't have a spare vehicle should ours break down. The major companies are lately so booked out that neither do they unless they have a second hand one for sale which they can get back from their dealer.

However we are hoping that this will never happen as the vehicle is regularly serviced by Mercedes who advise that very little ever goes wrong with them (fingers crossed)

We do have 24 hour RAC Business Wise road side assistance. When checking out companies who offer roadside assistance with their vehicles ensure that there are no size restrictions. Our vehicle is a little over 7 metres long and has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 4.49 tonnes, the heaviest vehicle that can be driven with a standard car licence and heavier and longer than most companies that offer roadside assistance will recover.

Another thing worth checking on before renting is the total cost. Often you will be charged extra for insurance, picnic table, chairs, etc.

The only additional cost we have is for a portable DVD player we are trialling for passengers at $30 per week. The TV/DVD/Video in the motorhome as with the airconditioner and microwave only work when plugged into the mains at a caravan park.

Our insurance company requests that we fill out the details of all drivers so there is a bit of form filling out and at no extra cost.

We do not rely on renting the motorhome out for our income as we both have full time jobs (I'm a Firefighter and work shift work)

So if you do find a company who will rent you out a 6 berth cheaper than ours jump at it!

There are a few reasons not to rent off us.

We cannot offer one way rentals.

You cannot drive our vehicle off road, there is plenty of butimen here. Dirt roads are often corrugated, just like a tin roof, which not only shake the rivets out of your vehicle and the fillings out of your teeth, but make an awfull mess of the crockery and other breakables in the cupboards.

We are not located close to Perth Airport, however we can generally arrange pickup if the time and date are compatible with our work commitments. There is also a very good airport pickup service here in Mandurah. We are about a 50 minute drive from Perth airport.

We live in 5 acres of genuine Aussie bushland, if you wish you can simply move into the motorhome and once all the formalities have been completed, you can stay here for the first night, thus avoiding caravan site fees. That way if there is anything you are unsure of we can advise you on the following morning before you head off, refreshed on your adventure.

We hired a motorhome ourselves to tour the UK. The most insane thing we did was to pick up the vehicle straight after a horror 18 hour flight then drive for another 3 or 4 hours.

Should you decide to stay here, or at one of a number of campsites in Mandurah for the first night after a long flight. You will find Mandurah the ideal starting place for your holiday, where you can stock the fridge and cupboards up with food, etc, go on a cruise up the river to spot the dolphins, or hit the beach (go steady there though, the sun here turns white skin to lobster in minutes!)

You will have great fun whoever you hire a motorhome from, as long as you take your time, don't be in a rush to get somewhere.

Don't plan to drive at night in the outback, that's the kangaroos rush hour. They wait for you to be blinded by the lights of an approaching road train then leap out at you, a big one will come through the windscreen!

Perth, West...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

Hi Hillbillies

My husband and I (and 2 kids) have booked the Avabreak motorhome to travel from Perth to Coral Bay return for 2 weeks in June. I shopped around with the major companies and what initially got me interested in Avabreak was the fact their daily rate is around 30% less than the larger companies. Also, they have everything included in their rate so we pay nothing more for insurance, camp chairs/table etc. They supply child safety restraints at no charge and there is a safe for valuables. Also the little things like games, extra linen etc. The big plus for us is that our children can watch DVD's on the portable player they have set up in the back for the journey. We're delighted about that since we will be driving for 2 days each way. Initially we were concerned about the potential for inconvenience should the vehicle breakdown but we do have peace of mind with the RAC 24hr roadside assistance policy. One thing they did suggest was to take out a travel insurance policy to cover the excess should we need to make an insurance claim. The excess is large with all the companies so I would take out travel insurance regardless of which company we were hiring with. We're very excited about our upcoming trip and I can highly recommend the owners and their customer service. They've been very helpful with advice and even helped us with our itinerary. I'll let you know how it all went when we return. Good luck with your holiday plans for Perth.

The Novices.

7. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:30 am, May 19, 2006
Perth, West...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

What's "spamology?", do I know you Rolly B?

I did spend many years working out of Fremantle Fire Station perhaps we have met?

Please contact me via our Avabreak web site, I'd be happy to bring our motorhome to Fremantle to show you when there is a suitable break between rental periods.

Or if you like we could arrange a time perhaps for me to park it at say the South Beach carpark or Monument Hill or another location of your choice,so you could view it from a distance so to speak.

I love an excuse to people watch at the Dome or Kailis and catch up with old friends who have stalls at the Markets. (Thank goodnes the Freo crews managed to contain the fire the other day!)

If anyone is wondering, my daughter did the artwork for our logo. The motorhome now has signwriting on all sides so it does stand out. Must get the web photos updated. Do you reckon we should have a name for the little house on wheels?

9. Re: perth western australia by motorhome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 13, 2009