We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth to Albany

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Perth to Albany

Friends,

Family and I will be in WA in late Nov into Dec this year, 2012. Our plan is just to be in Albany. We will be there for 6 nights and use it as a base, before coming back to Perth for 4 nights.

From previous discussions, I suppose I will drive straight to Albany. We arrive only at about 1.30pm in Perth. Assuming we start our journey at 3pm, will we still have sufficient sunlight to drive safely to Albany that time of the year?

My preference is to try to get to Albany by the same day. However, if this is not realistic, what's a nice place to rest for the evening?

From my own research I also feel confident that there is enough nature walks, activities to keep the family occupied. We do not like to move from hotel to hotel each night. I hope this works. My children are 15, 12 and 9.

I'd welcome any help or suggestions. Cheers.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,959 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth to Albany

It's about a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive if you know what you're doing and where you're going. Start at 3pm and it will be 7.30pm or later when you arrive, too close for comfort. And there are plenty of roos around down there, so not a recommended option.

On the shortest route there isn't really anywhere I would recommend overnighting unless you just wanted to stay somewhere really basic. For a (IMO) more pleasant experience you could go down to Manjimup and overnight there, then go on to Albany via Pemberton. Don't take the shorter Muirs Hwy through Rocky Gully as it is astoundingly boring- tree farms line the road for miles and miles and all you can see is a solid wall of tree trunks.

You can map various routes at

www.whereis.com

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth to Albany

Albany makes a wonderful base - loads to see and do in the area, you'll easily fill your time.

I'd suggest taking the Albany Highway on the way down, then taking the more scenic route suggested by YorkFoodie on your return, breaking up the journey somewhere along the way.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth to Albany

Have to disagree with YF - driving to Manjimup - 3 hours - will have OP driving through our local roos at dusk. And Manjimup doesn't have too much to offer by way of accommodation. Suggest drivng to Busselton for o/n, then down the Vasse Highway via Nannup, Pemberton, Walpole and Denmark to Albany. Very scenic.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,959 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth to Albany

6.30-ish is nearly 45 minutes ahead of sunset in early December, Numbat. Overnight in Busselton means a long drive the next day. Overnight in Bridgetown would shave another half hour off the first leg without overburdening the second leg.

Agree via Pemberton, Walpole and Denmark is the more scenic route.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth to Albany

Our kangaroos are early risers!

Agree Bridgetown better than Manjimup. Pemberton would be by-passed if driving straight along the SW Highway.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth to Albany

Although its a 4.5 - 5 hour drive, that is non-stop. Once you factor in a meal/petrol/etc break I reckon you should work on closer to a 6 hour journey resulting in arriving at Albany 9pm-ish. I wouldnt do it straight after a flight. Unfamiliar roads, unfamiliar car, driving at night on country roads....yada yada.

Please consider overnight accomm. half way...somewhere!

Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth to Albany

Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions. I guess in hindsight I should have checked to confirm if the 5 hours or so would include breaks. There would be plenty of it I reckon since there are 5 of us travelling. So driving all the way after a flight might not be such a great idea.

Guess what? I did not factor the roos either. I would surely now go with your suggestions to break the journey, at least an o/n.

While in Albany, any must dos? We are also wondering if the waters off the beaches might still be a little cold for swimming in late Nov.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth to Albany

Albany suggestions:

Two People’s Bay, a 30 minute drive from Albany. Suggest you walk the Heritage Trail with a detour to Little Beach.

Waychinicup National Park, which is about 65 km east of Albany...Cheyne Beach, and maybe a walk to Waychinicup Inlet (whales in season)

Porongurup National Park, some 40 kms north of Albany, several nice walks here as well as some good wineries

Stirling Range National Park, some 40 km north of Albany

Mt. Romance Sandalwood Factory (Albany).

Mt. Clarence, which is just east of downtown and home to an ANZAC memorial - great views of Princess Royal Harbor and a 2 km walk.

Torndirrup National Park

Whaleworld

Blowholes located off Salmon Holes Road, walk the 800m path and down 78 steps. Also The Gap and Natural Bridge

Albany Wind Farm, which supplies up to 75% of Albany’s electricity. There's an easy 1 km boardwalk which joins the Bibbulmun Track (965 km track from Perth to Albany).

The Luke Pen walk, which follows the east bank of the Kalgan River, an easy 12 km walk.

West Cape Howe National Park (towards Denmark).... you'll find a path at Cosy Corner, which leads the Dingo Beach overlook. This is part of the Bibbulmun Track. Shelly Beach - the views from the Shelly Beach lookout are lovely. Lowlands Beach, a secluded swimming beach with more gorgeous views.

Mt. Melville - there's a 3 km circuit here, with 360 degree views over Albany.

Middleton Beach & Emu Point (pretty beachside town).

Eden Gate Blueberry Farm (towards Denmark). There are a couple of strawberry farms in Albany too.

The Great Southern Distillery Company on Frenchman Bay Road. Try the Absinthe.

Dylan’s on the Terrace - good place for lunch

Assorted wineries, Montgomery’s Hill Vineyard, 15 kilometers east of Albany, Wignalls, another family owned boutique winery on the outskirts of Albany.

Yep, water will be cold. We needed heat in our cottage in November.

Now I want to go back to Albany. Imagine that.

Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth to Albany

Thanks Melnq8

Wow seems that we really will have a lot to do. Yes I am happy to hear your suggestions we is really helpful. That's why we wanted to stay put and used it as a hub of sorts. Am really looking forward - though it will be nice if it was warmer brrrrr.... Looks like we probably want to bring along some good walking shoes as well.

We probably need to prioritise the national parks. Any views on which might be tops?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth to Albany

There is no need to only prioritise national parks - Mel has given you an awesome list and I dont think I could add anything to it - already contains all my personal highlights of the region.