We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve

G'day - we are going to be in Perth for New Year's Eve, where is the best place to be? I know there is fire works on the river, do they have anything happening in Fremantle as well?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve

No public fireworks on the river on NYE in Perth, that is Australia Day.

Northbridge will have entertainment and is the most popular spot but NYE in previous years has not been a big deal in Perth.

Freo Council may do something but it will be family oriented and small.

Remember Perth Cup is New Year's Day so a lot pf people conserve their energy for the races.

This site shows some functions that will be available - all will be pricey.

http://www.newyearseve.com.au/perth.html

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve

Thanks, that was quick :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve

Yep no fireworks for NYE here in the CBD. Use to be some at Gloucestor Park but that got canned.

Northbridge closes off a square of streets and has DJs and circus artists and bands etc on each intersection and its a pretty big street party.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve

Mandurah has fireworks at 9pm and midnight on NYE, very pretty over the estuary.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve

There was a huge fireworks display last year on the Swan River between east Perth and Burswood. I could see and hear them from Subi. Old web page for the event here:

newyearseve.com.au/perth/497-nokturnl-events…

So far nothing has been advertised for a similar event that Im aware of :(

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve

I was aware of the "private" show this year A J, that's why I put no public display. I realise it is difficult to make fireworks private but did not want OP to think that any fireworks in the CBD on NY were similar to the display on 26/1.

Other firework locations around 31/12 & 1/1 in the 'burbs include Cannington Greyhounds have had a meeting and fireworks on previous years on NY Eve & there has been a family day with fireworks night on the Shelley Foreshore on NY night (1/1) .

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve

Thanks everyone for the tips, I think we will go to the street party in Northbridge as we are staying in the CBD. We have a week, so we are spending 3 nights in Perth, 2 nights Margaret River, then back to Perth for 2 nights for New Year. I have been to Perth several times but always for work, never before as a tourist.

I am surprised that Perth doesn't put on fireworks, it seems everywhere else does these days. Also the only information I could find about Perth and new year was that NYE website that has a picture of the fireworks over the river.

A street party will make a nice change to fireworks anyway.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve

The Perth city council spends quite a hefty few millions on the Australia Day skyshow which is the size of the sydney NYW fireworks so it doesnt feel its necessary to do the same thing 3 weeks earlier.

Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve

NYE in Perth is rubbish, I would suggest staying in Margaret River longer, there is far more to do there Settlers Arms makes for a good night out, plus it's not as hot.

10. Re: New Year's Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, December 26, 2012