We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Perth for the 1st time

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Perth for the 1st time

Hi, hubby & I may be going to Perth in July/Aug 06. Thought of staying at Hotel Ibis or Mercure Hotel Perth - any suggestions/feedback from anyone who's stayed there? As we're on a budget, what's the best way to get around Perth (besides walking) & take in the major sights?

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

I haven't stayed at either, but will let others comment on the 2 hotels.

You can get around Perth for free on the CAT.

The following is a map of all the places it goes to.

www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Default.aspx…

You can use this to get to Kings Park and to other places around the city.

You can use the train or buses to get you to Fremantle, Cottesloe Beach.

You'll find info about this at the same site

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

Thanks, ausmum66 for the links & infor. By the way, any hotels you'd recommend besides the 2 I mentioned?

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

I think either hotel would be ok. If you are like us, you just need a place to sleep? :)

The more expensive chain hotels (Hyatt etc) are nicer, but the locations of the 2 you mentioned would be ok.

Have you seen any reviews on here?

How long will you be here for?

Pemberton
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

Hi, I stayed at the Mercure about 6 months ago. They were in the process of refurbishing and at first put us in one of the older rooms. The older rooms were pretty horrible but they did move us to a new room after the first night. The new rooms were lovely. Very modern, good size and comfortable. I would imagine most of the rooms are done now but do check. The Reception area and bar were also very nice. The Mercure is also in a really good location ie not far from the centre. Ideal for walking.

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

Hi, thanks to ausmum66 & lucieoz for your comments especially on Mercure. I'll be in Perth for 5 nites tentatively from 3 - 8 Aug 06. I happened to come across this renovated hotel called New Esplanade Hotel Perth (overlooking Swan River) - just wondered if anyone has heard of it. Thanks.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

I have never stayed there, but drove past it the other day and thought it looked pretty good. It's in a great location!

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

Hi, ausmum66 & lucieoz, would you know if there's a seven-eleven or any convenience stores near New Esplanade or Mercure Hotels?

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

There are some new 7 Eleven type stores in Perth these days. I think they are called City Convenience and are scattered throughout the city.

You wont be far from a grocery store called Woolworths, in the middle of the city (the city of Perth is not very big. This will have your best prices.

perth.wa.gov.au/html/vis13_waaccess_tm_w.php

There's a very useful map here:

www.perth.wa.gov.au/html/vis13_waaccess.php

I have seen a convenience store near the corner of William Street and the Hay Street Mall, but there may be some closer to you.

YML
Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Perth for the 1st time

Hi, ausmum66, thanks a lot for the links. The maps are great. Getting around Perth would be a breeze - thanks to you.