We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our campervan in Perth

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Our campervan in Perth

Just finished our 8 days trip to Perth and it's south west coast, it is kinda of short. I couldn't find a good guide book about WA and too busy before the trip, so just copied some of the advise from this forum, i.e. took the Swan River wine cruise, went to Freo and Rottnest island, etc., the Perth part was perfect. Things only went wrong when we picked up the campervan on day 4th.

We spent lots of time packing this morning, arrived the campervan company an hour late.

Upon arrival, the staff informed us that we got upgrade. How nice! But when we followed his finger and looked through the window to the car park…. Instead of a van, we saw a big motor home. According to the staff, that was a 5-gear manual Mercedes. Wait a minute, I thought I confirmed an Automatic. My husband was wondering if he could handle the monster.

Our problem is: the only vehicle I drive in HK is a mini cooper, with poor driving skill. When we travel, my husband is always the driver, however, being an ex-California, he never like to drive at "the wrong side of the road".

When we mentioned all these worries, the staff started to blame to the travel agents, which upset me (who used to worked in the travel industry) more because I called to their hot line and was told that everything was in order just one day before.

After quite some negotiation, they agreed to give us an automatic, still big size. We both felt reluctant to accept this kind of ‘upgrade’ but it seems to be unrefusable, and we had to pay extra A$40 for the rooftop insurance. We didn’t want to argue and wait forever. It left us no choice but accepting it and waiting for the arrival of our upgrade.

We waited there more than 1 hour; our motor home finally arrived. By the time we left, it was 11:30 p.m. Our bush walk at Stirling National Park had to be replaced by a 5 hour non-stop drive to Mt Barker, barely made it before sunset.

The unexpected upgrade also ruin our night life. My husband refuesed to drive the motorhome at night hunting for restaurants, so I had to cook! We believed that the motorhome consumed more than a van as we spent a lot of money for deisel.

I just wonder what would the other travellers do when they encounter such an incident.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our campervan in Perth

I'm so sorry you have had a bad experience.

I wouldn't be keen to drive such a large vehicle either. I too own a Mini Cooper. My husband drives a large vehicle, but he wouldn't like to be driving one either.

I can only hope you settle in and become expert motor home drivers. At least it isn't school holidays, so the roads aren't as busy.

It seems like there was some sort of confusion between the TA and the vehicle company, but they still should have been able to sort it out.

Did they even have any camper vans to begin with?

Was this with a national company like Maui? I think Maui might only do motor homes and companies like Britz and Wicked Campers are the place to go for smaller vehicles, but I could be wrong.

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our campervan in Perth

Hi ausmum66,

I booked a Britz, and we got a Maui. I think they are the same company.

The reason I picked that particular vehicle on drivenow.com was: it's the only model with automatic transmission. (My husband and me had an wild experience while driving a manual in Spain last year, never want to do it again). BTW, I tried to book it with Britz directly but the rate they quoted was A$40 more per day.

At Britz, we repeatly express our worries, but at that time, not a single campervan available. I had a feeling that they didn't know how dangerous for a tourist driving a big vehicle in their country.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our campervan in Perth

I would email their head office and complain!

Australian Office:

Ms Simone MacDonald

Central West Business Park

Building 1

9 Ashley Street

Braybrook, Vic 3019

Telephone: (+61 3) 8379 8800

Fax: (+61 3) 9687 4522

Email: ausinfo@britz.com

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our campervan in Perth

Thank you for your advise. I felt my experience in the travel industry made me extremely nitpicks sometimes but easy to forgive the others. However, I'll file a complaint to Britz and hope that they'd do a better inventory control in the future, for the sick of all road users in Australia.