We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wave Rock Tour

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wave Rock Tour

Hi everyone

Planning to take a trip to wave rock soon and would like some advice as to whether to drive myself or take a tour.

I much prefer driving ourselves to go sightseeing as you can stay as long (or as little) as you like, stop where you like, more comfortable etc.

Also I'm not interested in the dog cemetery or lace factory which seem to be included in all the tours.

However I would like a guide to take us around the aboriginal cave, or could I hire someone up in Hyden?

Any opinions?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wave Rock Tour

It's a long way to go for the day ... and there's not much in between.

I've done it once, and wouldn't do it again, unless I was continuing onto Albany or Esperance.

But if you've never been before, and I am presuming you haven't, I'd drive and not do a tour.

But if you think the drive will be too long for you, take the tour.

It's a personal decision only you can make ... depending if you enjoy driving.

There's not much at Hyden except for a local store and hotel ... so I am not sure if you'd get a tour guide. The rock isn't too far out of the town, and that's all there is to see .. the rock. So you don't really need a guide.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wave Rock Tour

I think you'd be better off having the freedom to do what you want and drive there yourself. There are a number of local tours available at Wave Rock but I have not undertaken any of them. You dont really need to take on a tour of the rock itself as there are information boards at the site however i would expect the aboriginal tour may be quite interesting because of the strong cultural significance of the area. I prefer just to sit on the 'rock' and take in the view :-)

Yes it is a long haul and having been there a number of times I would not say it is a must do as a day trip from Perth. But... a definite must do on the way to Esperance.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wave Rock Tour

Since it's a four hour drive in either direction, I'd suggest staying overnight as with stops along the way then a look around the rock you may well have run out of daytime by the time you're done. Unless you have experience night driving with kangaroos about I would not recommend learning to do so when you are tired from your day's activities.

I'd also add that at this time of year it will be awfully hot as the sea breeze won't be making it that far inland to cool things down.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wave Rock Tour

Wave Rock rates as one of the great disappointments in my travelling life, but then you don't know if you don't go.....

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wave Rock Tour

I just knew that title would bring the Numbat out from under his log.

:)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,293 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wave Rock Tour

Well we loved it!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wave Rock Tour

Bored now that the cricket's finished early...... :-)

You'll note that I didn't say 'don't go'.

Edited: 2:27 am, January 16, 2012
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wave Rock Tour

So you thought you'd stir it up again with another Wave Rock 'discussion' huh? We need a balanced argument then...someone should call Tet.

;-)

Edited: 2:38 am, January 16, 2012
Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wave Rock Tour

Just expressing my opinion - in fact I 'd rate Wave Rock right up there with the Pinnacles......

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wave Rock Tour

<but then you don't know if you don't go.....>

Which is exactly how I ended up on Rotto ...and in York :)