We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bush Fire in Margaret River

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bush Fire in Margaret River

Read about the bush fire and the area it is being affected. We are heading down to MR on 7th Dec for 2 nights.

I am wondering if i should totally changed the plan, and start searching for alternative accommodation. As i booked an house, near Caves Road and have not heard from the property manager as yet.

Am thinking of doing Farm Stay if i am going to stay away from MR. ANy good suggestions?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

My suggestion is be pro active and endeavour to contact the Property Manager yourself before changing your plans. They may have been evacuated and not have their records with them. Do you have a mobile number to contact them?

Whilst there will be a big clean up required and gawkers and sticky beaks are not wanted or encouraged, (and I am in no way intimating OP is one of these, quite the opposite by the sounds of it) the SW area has not all been wiped out and people still have a living to make. Genuine tourists should still attempt to stay in the area and support them IMO.

Locating a Farm stay closer to the metro area at such short notice will be very difficult as they are normally booked months in advance. Use the search function for Western Australia forum as there have been many requests in recent times for recommendations. The FAQ for Farm stays has no links at this time due to TA politics.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,472 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

"Genuine tourists should still attempt to stay in the area and support them IMO"

I agree with you Perthite ... while the bush fires did unfortunately destroy properties, there is still a lot in that area untouched.

Rednaz, I can understand your concern however clearly going to WA is something you've been planning on for a while. So go ahead with your plans and enjoy yourself and help the locals at the same time out by showing your support. It may end up being the best holiday you've ever had !!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

Caves Rd is 80km long, so there's a fair chance that your accommodation has not been affected. If you have no luck contacting the property direct try the Margaret River Visitors Centre for info.

If you do come down here do not be tempted to wander into bushfire affected areas. Dead trees have a nasty habit of dropping boughs or falling over without warning - it is very dangerous. That said, the burnt area is about 3,000 hectares, so there is plenty of unburnt scenery to look at.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

Managed to get a hold of the property manager. Good news is his property is unaffected and frankly, i am relieved to know he is safe as well.

Thanks for all the advice, will take note that wandering into the bushfire affected area is a big NO. At this point of time, it is still a 'GO' for us as Perthite and Dougo mentioned... to show the locals some support.

My next real concern is, will there be a health concern (quality of air etc) as i have elderly parents, a pregnant sis and children traveling with me!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

I don't think air quality will be a concern come 7DEC unless the fire persists. Indications are that it will be fully extinguished within the next day or so and any smoke will be quickly dissipated by the prevailing winds. Yesterday Nannup was covered in thick smoke from a much bigger fire than that at MR - today it's gone.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

Thanks Numbat.

Would you be able to drop a quick pointer to which are the attractions i should give a miss due to cleanup. My plans was to head down to Margaret river Chocolate company, Mammoth Cave, Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse, MR Fudge Factory, Voyager Estate.

Appreciate.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

Ellensbrook to Redgate on the West side of caves road was burnt out. Fire is under control and residents in the area are allowed back to their properties. Boranup forest a bit further south is worth checking out.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

Of the places on your list, the only one close to the fire area would be

Voyager and even that will probably be ok. Just check with them or the Visitors Centre when you get to MR. The others will be totally unaffected.

Of greater concern will be the beachside areas of Prevelly and Gnarabup, which were directly affected by the fire. These are usually the places visitors go to look at the sea/surf, but I imagine there will be quite a bit of activity around the burnt out houses there so be mindful of the traffic and be aware that some of the locals will be a bit sensitive to 'sight - seers" .

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

Ellensbrook house is also gone, I was fortunate to have visited it and Wallclife house before. MR hopsital reopened yesterday sometime.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bush Fire in Margaret River

Not sure where you're getting your info from Matt, but I think you'll find that Ellensbrook is still standing.

…yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/11980573