We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go to Hyden?

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Should we go to Hyden?

We got our tickets to Perth leaving next Friday, the package include 3 nights in Perth so hopefuly can do the Frementle, Rottnest Island, Swan Valley, museum, shopping etc.

After Perth, we'll hire a camper van for 4.5 days down the coast to Bunbury, Margaret River and Manjimup. The Wave Rock near Hyden whihc is opposite to the coast looks gorgeous to us but it is ~350K each way from Perth/Manjimup!

We live in a busy city so tend to do things slowly during our vacation. It is really not a long holiday so I wonder if is it really worth driving all the way to see that.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we go to Hyden?

The problem with Wave Rock is where it is located. They would make a killing if they could move it closer to other attractions! :)

I know the area well, as I was once working in tourism marketing, and this was the area we were promoting.

The drive is a killer, but can be done in a day trip. If nothing else, you will marvel at just how much of 'nothing' there is.

There are quirky things to be seen along the way. There's a dog cemetery at Corrigin.

corrigin.wa.gov.au/tourism/attractions.html

Corrigin is also famous for Dogs in Utes

http://www.corrigin.wa.gov.au/doginaute

If you have the time, then it is an 'experience'. It's rough countryside, so gives you a bit of a 'real Aussie outback'.

My biggest concern would be the heat. It's a pretty hot and dusty drive at this time of year. It's probably more comfortable in Winter, or combining the wild flowers in Spring.

Not far from Wave Rock is a cave called Mulka's Cave. My 7 year old found this more fascinating than Wave Rock. It has great Aboriginal significance. There's hand prints on the walls, and a legend that goes with them.

You can read about it here

http://www.waverock.com.au/info.htm

If you had heaps of time, then it would be more tempting to do the trip.

The Pinnacles might be more attractive, at this time of year.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we go to Hyden?

I found wave rock fascinating but not sure I would recommend the drive either especially at this time of year. I think the suggestion of the pinnacles instead is a good one.

Perth
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we go to Hyden?

Forget Wave Rock forget the Pinnacles if you have only 4-5 days just travel to the South West there is plenty to see and do.

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we go to Hyden?

Thanks for all your help, we'd most likely give wave rock a miss this time and focus on the south west.