We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perth for 7 days

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
perth for 7 days

What are your experiences here and what do you advise seeing? We have 3 boys- 2,4,6. WE really want to see the beauty, and experience things, not just stay on the hotel and beach.

Has anyone heard of the River Retreat? Any good or bad experiences? Thanks so much. Looking forward to hearing all about some trips!

London
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: perth for 7 days

Hi there. Do you mean the Margaret River Retreat. I have not stayed there but it is in Margaret River which is great to visit but really only worth staying for a couple of days. There are lots of great things to do in Perth, the beaches are fantastic, especially with children and great eating places. We found Margaret River a bit pricey for meals, compared to Perth. We stayed in a Duke's Apartment in Wellington St. It was great, very modern and clean, and had a super pool, and balcony overlooking the pool. I would recommend it for a family. Ony cost us about $135 a night for 10 nights, so good value. Hava a look at there web site on http://www.dukesapartments.com

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: perth for 7 days

You do not say what time of the year you will be visiting. Our SW gives you access within a couple of hours' to some of our most beautiful country. Even on the way there is fun in Fremantle and Mandurah. There are many activities for families in the SW including animal parks, caves, tree-top walks etc.

Let me know what time of year you are coming and I will put some thought into your visit.

London
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: perth for 7 days

There is a lot to see in and around Mandurah. You can see dolphins in the inlet, and there are some great boat trips.

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: perth for 7 days

Thank you for the replies. We are planning on coming around the middle of April. Could be for 5-8 days, not sure yet. I am not sure if it is the Magaret River Retreat, but the website is www.theriverretreat.com if you want to check it out.

I am very intersted in the animal parks and things along those lines. Caves may be intersting as well, but not sure how the littler ones will handle that.

We are not wanting to spend the whole time driving form place to place, so staying somewhere close is somewhat important.

Thanks again!

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
311 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: perth for 7 days

I have stayed at the River Retreat when it was called the Swan Valley Holiday Cottages. Have actually stayed there twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. You will need a car if you are staying there as it is in walking distances of wineries and has a small animal farm but unless you plan to stay there and not see any more of Perth and its areas you will be a little isolated. But as I said they have nice self contained cottages.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: perth for 7 days

I'm just checking whether you are thinking of Margaret River in the South-West or the Swan Valley (North-East). I just checked the River Retreat and that is in the Swan Valley. If you would like to visit the Swan Valley, it may be a good idea to stay for a few days there, then stay closer to the city. There is Whiteman Park there which would be good for the kids.

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: perth for 7 days

Thanks for the help.

My husband is now thinking that wouldn't be the best place to stay. I was searching out Ningaloo Reef, and loved the idea of staying there, and it's quite far from the River Retreat.

What are your thoughts on that area?

I am really clueless, and thinking I should just go through an agent to get a better idea instead of doing this myself.

I want to get the most out of our vacation, but we have 3 small children, so lots of traveling is not optimal.

My thoughts are : The perth zoo, Ningaloo Reef, Monkey Mia. Things of that nature.

But I am having a hard time figuring out how to get to and from these places, because nothing seems close to the others.

Thanks again for your help.