We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

Morning!

I intend to rent a car from Budget/Avis for 10 days in late April, but even after purchasing excess reduction, it seems that there will still be an excess payable of 300+ for any damages incurred. I am keen to purchase travel insurance to cover this excess. Does anyone know if this is possible - ie, will any insurance companies be able to provide policies that will cover this excess (since I will already purchase the excess reduction from the car rental company), and if so, which companies would you recommend?

Or would it make more sense to just purchase travel insurance and not add on the excess reduction when renting the car? If I were to buy insurance from say 1cover, and not purchase excess reduction, will this cover the 2000+ excess charges payable if the car is damaged?

I have checked 1cover insurance website, but was unable to obtain the above information. (maybe got a bit overwhelmed by the terms used there!)

Hope any kind soul can advise me on this! Thanks a million!

p/s : I will not be renting from bayswater due to the inconvenient opening hours - but otherwise, the 50 excess for top cover is really ideal!

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

I wasn't covered. That was the full $3500 Damage Liability Fee to Europcar, out of pocket. The point was it is limited to $3500 not $3500 plus every other tax and fee rental companies add on to their charges.

I did have to go through the process of reporting it to the police. I was just unlucky that the witnesses were close enough to get a description and see it happen but not to get a registration.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
269 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

Well you were lucky with Europcar. A particular hire company is currently advertising that "all passenger vehicles come with fully comprehensive insurance with excess at is $3,300. But,further on you are advised that even if you do have any of their three tiered insurances, you are still liable for reversing damage, overhead, undercarriage, animal damage, hail, abuse, negligence, however caused, is at your risk and not covered. What happened to the fully comprehensive insurance mentioned in their opening statement. A real nightmare.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

Due to the fact that our original Care Hire supplier are not honouring any car pick ups in the UK after the end of July, we have had to rehire through another supplier. Holiday Autos are not going to be functioning. We have used them for many years on our UK care hire and have never had a problem.

We have never taken out the excess, relying solely on our Credit Card Cover, or comprehensive travel insurance which offers up to $5,500 for excess cover.

I rebooked the car through Rental.com but did not elect to take out the Excess which was around $9 per day - we are hiring for 63 days, so that was going to add up. However, to my amazement I was contacted by Rental.com (uk I presume) and was pressured into agreeing to the Excess payment - which they brought down to a total of $400. He would not give me time to discuss the matter, but said he would add it to the insurance, but that this could be cancelled, however if we didn't add it now, then we would not receive their "special offer". I am now having second thoughts about Rental.com and am completely confused.

I know the advantages of the companies Excess extra, the disadvantages being that you have to pay, then claim from you insurance company. We can however, cope with the added amount should we have an accident, and wait the couple of months for this to be refunded, less the $250 Excess on the card insurance.

There is no excess on the Car Hire company insurance, so is it worth paying the $150 extra just to avoid the problem of forking out at the time of the accident - or repair.

Would be nice to have a simple reply as I do feel we are being conned, and pressured into something we do not really need.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

hi toddy,

don't like the sound of your experience - so far - pressure selling sends out too many negative signals....

have you checked out www.autoeurope.com.au (or their uk site) they are consolidators/brokers - list all the big companies and on some of the companies listed - offer all inclusive rentals, rental, nil excess and additional driver packages for very competitive prices (when u add it all up)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
269 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

You apparently can't insure in two places at once. Have to choose one or the other. You will have to pay the Rental Company for damage up front, via your credit card and then claim from the Insurer. That is my understanding. Ask the question of the insurer rather than the Rental Company and see if you can get a clear answer. I decided to give the car rental companies a big miss and drive my own car on holidays.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

" i decided to give the car rental companies a big miss and drive my own car on holidays."

A bit difficult if u go OS for holidays.

:-)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
269 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

I was driving Qld to Melbourne and decided to drive my own car as it already have fully comprehensive - which is "fully comprehensive". No the crap that the car rental companies offer.

S G
Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
48. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

Hi

Hi

For the future, I think what you may have been looking for is available at:

https://tripcover.com.au/

Cheers

Edited: 2:55 am, August 15, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

Toddy

like you I relied on my "fee" travel insurance that came with my gold card. I was stunned to learn later that I was not covered for what I thought I was covered, ie multiple cars or single cars etc. Turns out they only covered "my" car so if I was at fault, I could be asked to pay for the property damage, personal injuries to others as well as any other car involved.

Pay the extra $36 or not ? You decide ... but in the long and short of it all, that $36 or whatever it is per day can save you a lot of grief in the long run.

And BTW, if you do decide to rely on your Travel insurance from O/S whether with a gold CC or whatever, you may be required to leave a bond or the car hire company may need to put a hold on some money on your CC ... their contract is with you, not your Travel Insurance company.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
269 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Questions on car rental and insurance to cover excess

Evening,

I don't think you can have two insurance policies ie one from the Rental Company and another to cover any other contingencies. The Rental Company policies usually still have lots of exclusions even if you get maximum coverage. Read the Rental Agreement not the terms and conditions on their website. Exclusions like hail, overhead damage, hitting an animal etc are not covered under any of their policies. This is my take on it.