We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a Working Holiday, Can I rent a Place in Perth?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
8 posts
Save Topic
On a Working Holiday, Can I rent a Place in Perth?

Good evening all, I recently enquired into some hostels, emailing a few applying for a reservation, unfortunetly most are booked up.

Now I have had a look around some perth letting agents and some places seem cheaper to rent that the price I was looking at for some hostels.

I will be on a working holiday visa, my first time in aus. And want to know if theres any reason why I could not rent a place of my own for 6 months?

Any hidden things I should be looking out for?

And any suburbs I should be staying away from?

Looking forward to ANY advice you could offer on this.

MANY thanks,

Regards.

Cox

United Kingdom
8 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: On a Working Holiday, Can I rent a Place in Perth?

and this: though no picture of the house itself.

www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch…

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: On a Working Holiday, Can I rent a Place in Perth?

Ok, Maylands area is a interesting suburb of Perth. You have newly established contemporary style housing in some areas, refurbished post war style housing in other areas and quite a number of very solid early pioneer built houses usually with good views of Perth, the river etc. The latter these days are worth a mint if you were to buy one.

The adorable (sic) house you chose looks like it might be in the post war fibro category, it seems a good rental price for the whole house but you would be best to wait until you arrive to check it out before committing to it. One man's meat is another man's poison so they say. The pros of Maylands is that it is well served by shops and transport including rail to Perth, the cons (depending on the exact location) are that there has been a number of break-ins reported from time to time. I would particularly keep clear of any streets with high and low-rise flats, but don't let that put you off the suburb.

Meanwhile have a look at Victoria Park, Mt Lawley and as one TA suggested Glendalough near Osborne Park, it has some great units and flats in reasonably quiet areas.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: On a Working Holiday, Can I rent a Place in Perth?

hi coxxxy

As suggested by Rolly, Maylands is a mixed bag when it comes to accommodation, and as the photo looks great, it doesnt mean it doesnt come with its problems. As rolly suggested, book into temporary accommodation then start looking when you get here- you will be surpirsed as to what out there!!!

You will also need several references befor eyou can rent also.

Post if any more quereis