We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

Hi everyone,

I have used the search engine to look for things in fabric shops and baby stuff but haven't found what I needed.

I'm a first time mum, taking my baby(by then he'd be 11 mths old) to Perth for the first time. It is not my first trip to Perth though it'll be my first trip there as a mother and my first winter trip there. I'll be there from 9 - 21 June.

I would like to buy some fabric (preferably "towelling" fabric) as I would like to sew my own hooded towel for my baby .

I am also looking at shops with BPA free products. it is very difficult to find BPA free products in Singapore. Is that the case in Perth? Bowls, spoons, bottles, etc. The range is very limited in Singapore.

I would also like to buy swimwear for the baby boy but as it's winter there, will that be easy to find? It is hot all year round in Singapore and the nice swimwear (with good UV protection) is very expensive.

I do not know where I'll be staying yet but I will most probably have a car. I may stay in Perth or near Fremantle...it depends on where my aunt wants to put us up.

TIA!

Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

Hi

for the bathers try http://www.cancerwa.asn.au/shopping/ who focus on sun smart products and have a childrens range.

Towelling you may be able to buy at Spotlight http://www.spotlight.com.au/

sorry, cant tell you about baby/bpa products, but if you order in time, you should be able to buy online and have delivered while you are here.

Mikala

West Aust
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

Hi Jade

Fabric stores are getting harder to find. There used to be one in Perth in the Hay Street Mall, however I can't say if it's there anymore. Other than that we have Textile Traders and Spotlight stores in the suburbs that sell toweling etc.

Honestly, I'd buy a king size bath sheet and make it out of that....better choice of thickness/colour etc.

Baby stores are everywhere. I can't answer about the bathers, but some of the better brands like Pumpkin Patch should have what you need in clothing.

All our Chemists stock baby bottles, sun products and the quality/range is good. I am sure if you go to the many specialty baby product shops around they will have BPA free products.

Cheers Big Al

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

Thanks much for the information. We have Spotlight in Singapore as well, but they don't carry that kind of towelling fabric. I know they sell that fabric in Europe, so if I can't find it in Australia, I'll get it from there as we're headed there in July/Aug to see the family. Am sure there is are a lot more choices for fabric in Australia so am looking forward to getting stuff there.

Thanks also for info on baby stuff.

Are there baby rental companies in Perth - i.e. you can rent a stroller, steriliser, etc, so that I don't have to bring my own, or borrow...?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

There are quite a few baby gear hire places (much to my surprise as I initially googled for the one I knew of in Mt Hawthorn!) - this is the list I found

http://www.bubhub.com.au/serviceshirewa.php

Spotlight here carries thousands of different fabrics in huge quantities so you should be able to find what you need.

BigAl - the shop you are thinking of in Hay Street is now a big book store - I went a wandering a few months back looking for needles and threads ! After much exploration and then asking one of the old timer "been there forever" shop assistants in Piccadilly Arcade - it was realised that there are no longer any haberdashery type stores left in the CBD :(

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

There are a couple more fabrics stores you could try.

The Fabric Warehouse in Canham Way Greenwood is popular with the sewing girls I know. Phone: 92471988.

Plus there's Textile Traders - with several stores.

South of the river, Southlands Fabric and Sewing Centre at Southlands Shopping Centre in Willetton. Tel: 93324022.

I'm sure one of these stores will have some towelling for you.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,031 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

Surely if your baby is 11 months old when you travel you will not need a steriliser. By that stage his immune system should be developed enough to cope with drinking from bottles which have been well washed in hot water and detergent. Detergent and a bottle brush are easily purchased and cheap enough that you won't mind leaving them behind when you go home.

7. Re: Fabric stores/Baby Shops and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 19, 2010