We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in western australia

Minnesota
3 posts
Save Topic
3 weeks in western australia

I have a broad question for all the knowledgeable people who post here-I have learned alot. My husband and I will be in Perth for 2 days and have some business in Kalgoorlie and Norseman to deal with then we are free for the remaining 2 weeks to head to esperance and up the coast back to Perth. What are your must visit/must do things and how long should we spend at those location. how many days to see Perth, Freo and Rottnest?

Thanks in advance

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in western australia

Wow ... I guess "how long is a piece of string". It really depends on what you're interested in and at what time of year you are travelling. No real noted attractions on the road between Norseman and Esperance - it's generally dry through most parts of the year but once you reach the coast things change a bit.

Esperance is a very attractive town with plenty of ammenities, accommodation, beautiful bays and coastal grandeur. It's worthwhile taking the catamaran "Seabreeze" over to Woody island just to have a look at the ocean wildlife. It's possibly a little similar to the Monterey region of the US but not as large. Give yourself a couple of days in Esperance and while your there have a look at the museum. The last time I was there it was perhaps a little 'unco' by most museum standards but amongst the bric-a-brac there's there's some large bits of the US spacecraft "Skylab" that almost hit the town back a couple of decades ago.

Travel west via Hopetoun and the Fitzgerald River Nat Park, there's huge expanses of deserted white beach intermixed with unique rocky headlands that plunge into an often wild Southern Ocean and some unique wildflower species.

Albany has been written about many times in this forum, there's a wealth of places to stay most time of the year and I think it's our fourth largest regional town. Three to four days would be ideal here. Very pretty - make sure you include a visit to the old whaling station. There's a couple of nice golf courses too if you're into that sort of thing.

Head west via Denmark (drive up into highlands above the town and take in the view) then drive through the Valley of the Giants, Tree-top walk, and on to the small town of Walpole. You can do a sort of eco-cruise over the enclosed inlet on an organised boat trip from the town jetty here. I think it's run by the Muir family (or used to be) and includes refreshments. Enquire anywhere in the town about this. You could stay here if you wish, but it might suit you to drive on to Pemberton and stay here for a couple of nights.

I think that's probably enough rambling from me, there's sure to be other knowledgeable TA's who could take it from this point and possibly even update on some of the attractions I've either glossed over or totally ignored.

ann arbor, mi
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in western australia

I would appreciate hearing about your travels from Esperance to Perth along with any recommendations you might have. My wife and I will be arriving in Perth around 20 January and plan on flying to Esperance then driving back to Perth, maybe taking 7 to 9 days.

Thanks in advance.

Cygnet, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in western australia

Wow where to start.

Denmark is worth a look and I have stayed at the William Bay Cottage which are really special but may be booked out depending on when you are travelling(many families book them as early as Easter for the Christmas season) Pemberton which is just near the "Valley of the Giants" is lovely have used "Pump Hill Cottages" here and once again loved it. Fremantle has a Mediterranan feel with lots of cafes and Italian food etc.. many places to choose from, Esplanade Hotel is nice as is Tradewinds.. Perth city has all the usual four star places it big city but has a very "new" vibe I live here so I am a bit biased.. still I am the first to say it has been called "dullsville" but you can stay by the beach and watch the sunset. Great places to eat all over the city. Rottnest is called "the overseas holiday without leaving Australia" very much priced by the family. No cars and beautiful beaches, diving for those who are inclined and the kids can run free without worry. A small island but very family friendly worth a night or two I would say.(Maybe not for those wanting a quiet place to stay.. and def. not around the end of school terms.. trust me on this)

Margaret River is another place to visit especially for the wine buffs. Closer to Perth you have the Swan Valley wineries many have great brasserie style cafes and you can (as long as you are not driving ) spend an afternoon amongst the grapes and wines.. dangerous but very relaxing.. hope this helps you in your planning.

Minnesota
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in western australia

Thank you for your detailed replies-very helpful. I will try and post for the person In Michigan also. I can't wait to go!

ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in western australia

Valley of the giants is worth a visit. One thing that wasn't obvious to us before we went was the change in climate at the bottom end (Albany, Esperance) we booked for 4 days in Jan and it rained constantly. We preferred Margaret River area, a bit more relaxed and sophisticated, great restaurants and wineries and fantastic beaches. Depending on your budget try Cape Lodge, Empire Retreat, Vat 107 in Margaret River is a great restaurant with a couple of nice rooms above.There are great walks from Cape Naturaliste to Cape Leeuwin and some interesting caves to explore.If you are travelling inland back to Perth, Wave Rock,Hyden is worth a stop off. Nearer Perth we haven't found anywhere good to stay in Freemantle, might be better as a day trip, try Cottesloe which has a great beach and is only 5 minutes away by car.Perth is really relaxed and there is lots to do and see, great bars, restaurants and the park is a great escape.One thing we noticed in high season, the shops all close early. Pick up a copy of SCOOP magazine or try their website scoop.com.au for listings. North of Perth it's difficult to find accomodation but The Pinnacles Desert is worth the drive. On the west coast the wind gets going everyday by lunchtime, so do your sunbathing/swimming in the morning.