We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking food into Australia

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Taking food into Australia

I was going to take some biscuits and chocolate with me to australia tomorrow. I know there are some restrictions and you have to declare these things. How likely are they to take things from us? My Aunt went over and she had taken a picture frame as a gift and it had dried beans in it (a gift for someone who likes cooking), and they emptied the beans out!

Anyway, just want to know if should only take minimal amounts of chocolate and biscuits etc just in case....keen to hear other people's experiences.

Special Offer
Swan Valley Wine Gourmet Wine Cruise...
272 Reviews
from $66.00*
$132.00
Rottnest Island from Perth or...
124 Reviews
from $98.00*
Special Offer
Caversham Wildlife Park, the...
146 Reviews
from $134.30*
$167.90
Special Offer
Margaret River Wines, Mammoth Cave...
125 Reviews
from $134.30*
$167.90
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking food into Australia

chocolate should be fine so long as it is the commercial type (not homemade) and fully sealed. don't bother with the biscuits, while they might be ok you are likely to have them taken off you. all organic materials should be declared.... if you forget to declare something and get caught it is a huge fine.

the beans are a serious risk to australia.... we are mostly disease free here and take quarantine very seriously. check out :

www.aqis.gov.au

www.customs.gov.au

London
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking food into Australia

Is it ok to bring jars of baby food into the country?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking food into Australia

My aunt asked me to bring some biscuits. I also bought some for ourselves. I'm a bit of a chocoholic, I always take my favourite biscuits on holiday. Do you think Jaffa Cakes will be taken off me then?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking food into Australia

Ashes,

I think the answer is no..it may depend on what the contents are... they have been known to bounce baby formula..even when it was sealed and came from oz in the first place???

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking food into Australia

the baby food might be ok if it is completely sealed (anything you open on the plane will have to go) but there are no guarantees. biscuits will probably not make it through. we took timtams with us overseas (from oz) and still had a sealed pack coming home and they had to go. you can try, but be prepared to chuck it out if you have to.... and declare everything

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking food into Australia

Straight from AQIS...

Personal quantities of commercially prepared canned or jars of baby food containing less than 10% egg product are allowed into Australia from any country, provided the product is in metal cans, retort pouches, or in hermetically sealed glass jars. ‘Retorted’ means that the item is commercially heated in an unopened hermetically sealed container for a time, and to a temperature, sufficient to render the contents commercially sterile. ‘Hermetically sealed’ means airtight or completely sealed from the atmosphere, so that when sealed it does not allow micro-organisms or any other material to enter it.

Milk based foods (including infant formula & cereal) for infants may be imported from any country provided the products are commercially prepared and packaged, and are for the consumption of the accompanied infant. A single opened can/tin of milk-based foods for infants is allowed when accompanying an infant, however all other cans/tins must be unopened.

If the baby foods do not meet the above conditions, the items will be destroyed or re-exported from Australia. Re-export of the items must be paid for by the importer.

It still needs to be declared... my friend was made to throw the unopened formula away in Cairns at 11pm???

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking food into Australia

I have travelled to Oz with friends who have managed to get baby formula in on a number of occasions. Declared upfront, the customs people looked at the formula, looked at the kid and let it through.

I have also seen a mother and child travelling into Oz where the child (about 3 yo) was actually drinking milk from a bottle as they passed through the (red) gantry.

The key thing I believe is to be upfront and declare it. Reason will prevail.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking food into Australia

OP.. it was declared.. sometimes the customs guys have a bad day and just like to be nasty or perhaps they are n't quite as informed as they should be..

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking food into Australia

GW (that sounds very presidential, LOL!), you're right. Everybody has bad days and the universal rule in travel really is that you don't tick off the immigration or customs guys cos they can really make your life miserable!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking food into Australia

Just to let you know, we're here and got our chocolate and biscuits in here no probs. Just declared them, and they didn't even ask to see them.