We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth to Margaret River

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Topic
Perth to Margaret River

Planning a leisurely drive from Perth to the Margaret River area in 2 weeks' time. Apart from Mandurah (lunch and ice cream) and maybe Busselton (jetty, underwater observatory), are there any other interesting stops along the way? I'd like to get to MR before dusk so it would have to be relatively short stops.

washington
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth to Margaret River

Don't forget the cheese and chocolate factory near Margaret River.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth to Margaret River

We've had so much rain this year, most of the countryside you will pass through on the Old Coast Road is unusually greener than in previous years but if you're interested in a bit of natural history you might like to drive out to the stromatalites near Cape Bouvard - Lake Clifton, a little south of Mandurah. It's a small but ancient, 'breathing" reef formation seen in just a few places on the planet. There is plaque explaining what it's all about. And don't bypass Bunbury ... it's our second largest regional city and worth a drive through at least.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
761 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth to Margaret River

Go see the coast at Bunker Bay (which is very close to Marg River).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth to Margaret River

OP..not visiting the Sing forum so last chance I would guess to wish you a great trip...looking forward to some feedback

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth to Margaret River

We are just back from a few days in Dunsborough near Margaret River, would recommend Capel Vale winery on the way down, well worth the visit.

While you are in the district, the whales have been about almost every day, we went out on Melb Cup day to have the boat surrounded by a pod of 8 hump backs, it was amazing. Leaves from Dunsborough professional fishing ramp and only costs A$55 for three hours, a bargain.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth to Margaret River

wow....sounds great. I wish I will see humpbacks whale but it seems that it's impossible for me to meet them in end of December, right? I wish i could visit Perth now for whale!

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth to Margaret River

Hey RollyB, thanks for that bit of information. The greenery sounds great on a slow coast drive. What’s the weather been like lately? I notice it still gets chilly at night (<8C).

I did a bit of reading up on Lake Clifton and it sounds like an interesting stop which I hope to make. Are the stromatalites you refer to in the Yalgorup National Park? I ask because the maps I have at this point don’t show that level of detail so hopefully I can get some better maps or else I’ll look out for signs to Yalgorup.

Zelda, thank you for the suggestion. Bunker and Eagle Bays are definitely on the list of hang outs while I’m in Dunsborough.

Iona! 8 whales! That is so unbelievably cool!! Thanks for that bit of info on where to get the whale tour. Definitely going on that one.

Berisa, I hear that whales have been sighted as late as December so good luck and I hope you have a good experience when you go.

GW, many thanks. It’s been a crazy year and I am due for some serious R&R. I think I will get just that in WA starting next week. (But believe it or not, I have to make another trip to Hong Kong between now and next week). I will post back with feedback on the highs and lows.

Cheers all.

Singapore
Level Contributor
265 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth to Margaret River

Rolly - I found a map which shows Cape Bouvard and Lake Clifton, just south of the Dawesville cut. Shouldn't be too hard to find (famous last words!) Cheers.

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth to Margaret River

I'm planning a 13 days holiday with my family to Western Asutralia in early December.

What's my chance of seeing dolphins in Bunbury? Staying there for two days. Thereafter, its down to MR, Pemberton, Albany and back to Perth via bridgetown. Has anyone stayed in the Karri Valley Resort? Any comments please?

Will be staying in Perth for 3 days and squeezing a day trip to Lancelin for sand boarding with the kids. Anyone been to Lancelin?

I need your comments. ThanksI

Amy

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth to Margaret River

I'm planning a 13 days holiday with my family to Western Asutralia in early December.

What's my chance of seeing dolphins in Bunbury? Staying there for two days. Thereafter, its down to MR, Pemberton, Albany and back to Perth via bridgetown. Has anyone stayed in the Karri Valley Resort? Any comments please?

Will be staying in Perth for 3 days and squeezing a day trip to Lancelin for sand boarding with the kids. Anyone been to Lancelin?

I need your comments. ThanksI

Amy