We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Hi

I am going to visit Perth this christmas, did some researches and below are those places I plan to visit but I just get 7 days. Can I have your opinions of where are much worthy to visit ?

1) Perth City x 1 day

2) Fremantle (Rottnest Island) x 1 day

3) Marmion Marine Park & Mattam Pools x 1 day

4) Rockingham x 1 day

5) Dunsborough & Margaret River x 2 days

6) Pinnacles Desert x 1 day

Does the above itinerary make sense? Many thanks.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Sounds great. You might want to combine Rockingham and Dunsborough/Margaret River into a 3 day sojourn. Not as much to see around Rockingham unless you're planning to swim with the dolphins. Would suggest lunch in Rockingham first day then continue on down to Margaret River. It's a good 2.5 hour drive at least, south from there. That gives you all the next day and at least part of the following day to enjoy all this region has to offer.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

I would allow more than one day to do Fremantle and Rottnest Island! Fremantle is a lovely port town, great to stroll around, look at the harbour, the markets (on weekends), have a nice lunch, do some shopping etc. I would recommend a day to do that. Rottnest I think you should spend a whole day at. Especially by the time you get there and back on the ferry.

I agree with the previous reply about just stopping in Rockingham for lunch on the way down to Margaret River.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Thanks for your comments, I revise the itinerary as below & have questions listed below, your advices are appreciated as we don't have much time & MONEY >> :P

Dec25 : land at 7.35am, lodge check-in, Perty City (Kings Park, Joondalup??, Curtin University)

Dec26 : Marmion Marine Park & Mettams Pool

(will it open on Dec 26? How can I get to these places by public transport)

Dec27 : Tour from Perth to Rockingham for swimming with dolphins, stay overnight at Rockingham (can I really jump into the sea and swim with dolphins? Before I've been to NZ, claimed can swim with dolphins but turned out watching only)

Dec28 : Tour of Snorkelling at Penguin Island & Seal Island, back to Fremantle for sleep

(can I swim with Seal and Penguin?)

Dec29 : Pinnacles Tour, stay in Fremantle

Dec30 : Rottnest Island, stay in Fremantle

Dec31 : Fremantle city tour, stay in Fremantle

Jan1 : Fremantle to Perth Airport for noon flight - Home Sweet Home

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

berisa

get onto www.dolphins.com.au about the dolphin tours at rockingham, and this will give you specific information and cost - A$165 a person to swim.

as for mettams pool and marine park, this is just a beach open free to the public, where local surfers and snorkellers go. You could spend a day here if you want to laze on the beach, but can be windy. its referred to as a marine park, due to the reef that runs along it just off shore. locals also fish here. hate to say but if you blink one could miss it!! a bus goes passed it (dont know the number) but possibly a taxi might be an option(but get it from a train station -whitfords- as they are expensive)

The pinnacles tour generally departs from perth and quite early - between 7 and 830am depend on operator- and fremantle is about 20-30min from perth so this is a very early morning start, a long all day tour, then back to fremantle. the freo-perth bit you would have to get taxi or train.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Have you dropped Margaret River? We were down there in June and had a great time visiting Evans & Tate winery and a few others and kayaking the Margaret River.It well worth a few days.

ann arbor, mi
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Bersia

I'm planning a late January trip to Perth then South. Sounds like you are planning a similar itinerary. Would appreciate your comments when you return.

Thanks

Michael

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

John07,

Did you join the local tour then to Margaret River? Actually, I like fishing and kayaking too. I can consider to change the Penguin & Seal Island with Margaret river. But do I have enough time to go from Rockingham to Margaret in the very early morning and then visit the winery + kayaking at margaret river?

More inputs would be highly appreciated about the Margaret River. Thx.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Hi Berisa,

We caught the bus to Margaret River and it takes about 5 hours with stops along the way.I'm not sure how far it is between Rockingham and Margaret River.We did the Winery & Kayak tour on consecutive days with the same company.The winery tour takes you to 5 wineries and a chocolate factory.There were only 5 of us on the tour and it was very informative.We had a Australiana buffet lunch which included meats such as emu,Kangaroo,turkey and lots of berries and seeds etc. Margaret River has some great wineries and Evans & Tate was our favourite.

The kayak tour up the Margaret River was a four hour tour that takes you about 3-4km up the river from the ocean mouth and the guide showed us where the original Aborigal inhabitants lived.We had another buffet lunch before kayaking back towards the ocean.

Both tours are highly recommended and can be booked at the Margaret River Information Centre in the Main St.

It's a great little town and well worth a visit but i'd say you'd need at least 3 days to do it justice.If you have a hire car,you do the wineries at your own pace.

Cheers

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

That meant to read original Aboriginal inhabitants.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dunsborough & Margaret River or Rockingham or Pinnacles...

Thanks so much for your inputs John!!!!

Here is the revised itinerary :

Dec 25

- Perth City : Visit Curtin, Museum

- Joondalup (Kangaroos?)

Dec 26

- Rottnest Island

Dec 27

- Rockingham Tour (Swimming with dolphins)

- head to Margaret River on the same day

Dec 28

- Kayaking?

- Fishing?

- Bushwalk?

Dec 29

- Winery Visit (Evans & Tate)?

- Head to Fremantle for sleep

Dec 30

- Fremantle City (Fremantle Markets etc)

Dec 31

- Pinnacles Desert Tour or other tours ?

Jan 1

- Back to Perth and Home Sweet Home