We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day in Perth

Southampton, UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Day in Perth

My wife, 9year old son and I will be visiting Perth over Christmas this year and would like to spend Christmas Day on the beach. Can anyone recommend a family beach that we can visit. We will be staying in Hay Street so will need transportation there also.

We have heard that many places are closed over the Christmas period so we have concerns over eating out on Christmas Day evening. Can anyone recommend a suitable family restaurant or will sandwiches be on the menu?

many thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day in Perth

I think that the best beach for tourists is Scarborough beach. Your best bet would be a train from the city to the Glendalough station and then a bus from there to the beach. Any of the northern suburbs beaches are great though - Scarborough is a surf beach so if you're not too good in the waves you may want to try one a bit further north (maybe Mettams Pool or for something a little more touristy try Hillarys Boat Harbour).

A lot of restaurants are open on Christmas Day. Many require you to pre-book a table though. If you are in the city (Hay St) you might like to try Miss Maud's which has a smorgasbord. They cater for all ages and it is pretty casual. I'm sure you shouldn't have too many problems finding somewhere to eat!

Enjoy your stay.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day in Perth

As an alternative, you might like to consider South Beach just 1km south of Fremantle. Easy to get to, no big waves, plenty of shade under the pine trees and nicely grassed.

Being near Freo you will have a reasonable choice of places to eat if you don't want to take a picnic lunch but others might be more definitive about eating places that have advertised that they will be open for Christmas lunch.

Also note that Christmas Day is not always necessarily hot. I think it was reasonably warm last year but that's not always the case.

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day in Perth

Cottesloe beach is a great place for Christmas lunch. You will be able to catch a bus from the bus station directly there. It is really really nice and my family often spend the day there. One thing though. Many locals go to the beach for christmas lunch and to ensure you get shade (a must) you will need to be early

perth
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day in Perth

Christmas Day at the beach is always a great idea in Perth. Although it is not always really hot, it will always be nice at the beach at this time. As someone has already mentioned it gets quite crowded so id get down early to get a nice shady spot. Id also suggest cottesloe beach, which is down near fremantle. There are buses that go there, although im not sure of the actual numbers. A picnic would be a great idea, although im sure some places along the beachfront will be open (they have great fish and chips!). Hope you have a great christmas day :)

Southampton, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day in Perth

Thank you all for your help