We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's open over Easter?

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
What's open over Easter?

We will be travelling to Perth arriving on Easter Saturday and leaving on the following Wednesday. Although I am a frequent visitor to Perth, I have never been there over Easter before. Can anyone please advise whether restaurants, pubs etc. are open on Easter Sunday?

Sounds like a naive question, but we were just wondering.

Cheers and thanks,

Gary and Melody

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,957 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: What's open over Easter?

Definitely not a naive question given our archaic trading laws here !!

From the http://www.scca.org.au/ website:

Over Easter, general retail shops (including those in the Perth and Fremantle tourism precincts) are not permitted to open on Good Friday (10 April) or Easter Monday (13 April). Easter Saturday (11 April) is a normal trading day. On Easter Sunday (12 April) only general retail shops in the Perth and Fremantle tourism precincts can open.

The DOCEP website doesnt appear to have 2009 info up yet - all the searches I did brought up previous years.

Old thread with much the same advice and info here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k1788…

Sydney
Level Contributor
45 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: What's open over Easter?

Thank you for the reply and the thread - at least it seems we will be able to eat out.

cheers,

Gary

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,957 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: What's open over Easter?

Over here in Northbridge you might find that the catholic run restaurants (especially italian or greek) may be closed on good friday, but generally all the asian places are open.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,061 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: What's open over Easter?

Licenced places tend to close because you can't sell alcoholic beverages on Good Friday.

North Perth
Level Contributor
108 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: What's open over Easter?

Did they not have wine at the Last Supper?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,061 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: What's open over Easter?

Well, they did, but that wasn't Good Friday.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,957 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: What's open over Easter?

LOL YorkF - I was actually going to mention that but for the life of me I couldnt remember if it was still the case.

I think its still illegal for cinema's to show an R rated movie on good friday too - unless that one has finally been loosened !

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
86 reviews
8. Re: What's open over Easter?

I wonder if restaurants will charge an extra surcharge if they open on one of the holidays though? Can't remember what holiday it was last year, but sign on the front door of the cafe we ate at specified there'd be a 10% surcharge.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: What's open over Easter?

Many restaurants have a public holiday surcharge, not just Easter holidays, as they have to pay staff penalty rates.

10. Re: What's open over Easter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 19, 2009