We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kimberleys, Western Australia

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
5 posts
Save Topic
Kimberleys, Western Australia

Where are the most spectacular sights in the Kimberleys? I am particularly interested in canyons, the more rugged the better.

How do I get there from Broome? What reasonably priced tours are available.

Is mid July a good time to explore the Kimberleys?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,572 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

This website should help. http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/ The most spectacular gorges are off the Gibb River road.

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

Thank you. I really like the look of Mitchell Falls. Does anyone know how to get there from Broome? Can you fly in, take a tour? I know what would be standard somewhere else, wouldn't be the case in the outback.

If you had to choose between Geikie Gorge or the Mitchell Falls, what would it be?

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

Thank you. I really like the look of Mitchell Falls. Does anyone know how to get there from Broome? Can you fly in, take a tour? I know what would be standard somewhere else, wouldn't be the case in the outback.

If you had to choose between Geikie Gorge or the Mitchell Falls, what would it be?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,572 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

Definitely Mitchell Falls. There are both road and flying tours.

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

Thank you so much Nozzie. That is good to know. You might not have this information - if my partner and I flew in independently of a tour, where would we end up that would be closest to Mitchell Falls? Would this have facilities of any type (e.g. camping, motel !!, other)? Then would we be able to walk in to Mitchell Falls? Could we hire a vehicle from that area?

Have been to grand canyon, machu picchu etc.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,572 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

Mitchell Fall is extremely remote. There is an airstrip which lands small planes from Broome and Derby and then usually people take a helicopter flight over the falls. Yes you can walk in. I think its about 2km from the airstrip. There is a camping ground but no other facilities.

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

I really appreciate your feedback. It looks as though we might fly in and out of MP. I've looked on the map and it is isolated.

My partner has looked at tours and they seem to be too long - 11 days taking in other sights. We have only 5/6 days. It is not a trip to be hurried.

8. Re: Kimberleys, Western Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 04, 2009