We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

Hi,

I am an Australian living in the uk.. en-route to melb we are stopping off in perth for 3 nights in early to mid december,

we want somewhere clsoe to the beach but not too far from airport? any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

The best to me regarding Perth beaches is Scarborough especially in December, however its a busy summer time so you will need to book ahead for any accommodation.

Perth is unlike any busy city of the world, its very compact and easy...but its also heavily booked due to the "Miner's explosion" so you do need to be totally organized if thinking of visiting WA.

Happy surfing !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

thanks i think i might book this week then!

Thanks

will do some research on where to stay close to the beach for sure after this cold weather!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

I agree with Ellemay. For the combination beach, lodging and restaurants Scarborough is a good choice. It's some 45 minutes from Scarborough to the a/p by car.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

As the Airports are in the foothills of Perth, if you stay by the ocean you will be around 35-60 minutes away, depending on whether you stay at Scarborough, Hillarys/Sorrento or Fremantle and depending on time of day you are travelling to/from Airports.

A taxi from/to either Airport to any of the above beachside locations will cost you around $48-$52.

Have a look at

www.seashells.com.au

www.sorrentobeach.com.au

www.fremantlewa.com.au

stayz.com.au/accommodation/wa/perth/cottesloe

You might like to consider staying close to the city but alongside the Swan River and catching th etrain to the beach:

takeabreak.com.au/Ascot/…accomodation.htm - Acscot is very close to the Airports and has views over the river.

www.broadwaters.com.au (Como)

www.thepeninsula.net (located in South Perth right on the river looking back across the water to the city. Good public transport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

Dear Cecchi

I'll just throw my 2 cents worth in. Personally I think staying in Fremantle or Cottesloe is a far better option than Scarbs. (Sorry EM- I think Scarbs is a divey area, if you don't have a car its a pain in the backside to get to and from. Once you're there you're kind of stuck IMO).

Freo is a lively place full of atmosphere and very pedestrian friendly. Port Beach- just up the road is a very popular beach for Surfers, Boogie Boarders and Swimmers.

Cottesloe is a better beach and there are far more options to eat and drink around the area, plus if you stay in Freo you won't need a car as you can just hop on the train. Get off at Cottesloe station and a 10min walk sees you at the beach.Great Cafes, restaurants and pubs (the OBH is an icon particularly for a Sunday Session).

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

HP

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

I totally agree, stay in Fremantle and go to Cottesloe beach. The Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle is a nice place to stay.

Regards,

Trish

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,441 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

I have to agree with the others - "Scabs" as it is unfondly known here is a total dive. Its just a drinking haven for teens and under 25s.

Cottesloe is more upmarket and nicer all round. Freo is a comfy mix of both !

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

Having lived in Cott for some years, I agree with the above. Of course, Freo/Cott are even further from the airport than Scarborough (which isn't close), but if you hire a car (highly recommended for Perth), this won't really be an issue.

--- G

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,923 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

I agree with Howzat and co; unless you plan to spend all of your time at the beach, Scarborough is a little out of the way unless you want to drive everywhere. With the exception of Soda a little up the coast at Trigg, I don't think the restaurant scene in Scarborough is all that either.

Western Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Perth for 2 nights, some beach would be nice

Hi Cecchi - glad you are coming to Perth!! I agree that Fremantle would be a great choice to stay. It is great for restaurants, pubs, markets and beaches. It is so easy to jump on a train to Cottesloe and catch a bus from there up to Scarborough as well if you like. Travel time is next to nothing. I think ALL our beaches are great. Perth is a big country town and exceptionally easy to be from one side to the other in no time at all. If you hire a car grab a gps system as well - Perth is so easy to drive around. Our transport system is definately not as great or as convenient as other cities. Enjoy a fantastic city and take more time if you can - it is very relaxing and day trips to the outskirts would be good.