We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

Brit in Beijing
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

Hi!

I have been to Perth before but I'm a bit stuck this time!

I will be in Perth for 2 or 3 nights in July. I know...not good weather :( I have never spent any time on my own in a city before and I'm worried that I'll get a bit bored, especially in the evenings.

I'm looking for a place to stay in Perth somewhere that will be safe for a single, young girl (Im 23)... yes, I know I'm being paranoid. I don't fancy dorms or hostels but it would be great if it were somewhere that isn't just filled with business types.

The hotel needs to be somewhere near places I can get food in the evening without the benefit of a car.

I would love to hear of any good pubs/bars where I can go where I won't be looked at for being a total freak for being on my own.

I don't know anyone in the city, I can't drive and because I'll be doing some massive long hauls the days before and after I don't want to leave Perth.

I don't want to give the idea that I'm really precious. I just havent been on my own in a city before and I'm worried I'll go mad!

Thank you!

Hel

Special Offer
Swan Valley Wine Gourmet Wine Cruise...
272 Reviews
from $66.00*
$132.00
Rottnest Island from Perth or...
124 Reviews
from $98.00*
Special Offer
Caversham Wildlife Park, the...
145 Reviews
from $134.30*
$167.90
Special Offer
Margaret River Wines, Mammoth Cave...
125 Reviews
from $134.30*
$167.90
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

I will hand this over to Perth Experts, but regardless I do have 2 adult children in your age bucket (LOL)

The trouble with Perth Hotels most are 10mins walking distances from the CBD. It also depends on your budget ????

For Perth experts to advice you correctly, you do need to give a little more info.

Regardless, where would I place my kids.....probably the safest place with fun.

1. The Hilton.(closest to CBD)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

I'd stay in Fremantle. Pretty well everything is within walking distance there. Just don't stay out until the wee smalls because that's when any trouble that's going to happen, happens (this applies in the city as well).

Mentioned in this post
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

I would stay @ Scarborough beach, they have a new hostel and you could most probably get a private room! There a loads of pubs around, shope, places to eat, but yeah as the last post says be wary of men if you're going to go out drinking alone. I'd say a hostel is the only way you are going to meet people.

Pubs are (in preferential order)

1) Contacios

2) Stamford Arms

3) White sands

hostelworld.com

:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

Scarborough and a single girl to me would be a no-no. Plenty of trouble there just last weekend - at two of the hotels suggested by the previous poster. I would go with YK on this and suggest Fremantle. Why not try a B & B instead of a hotel? Then you have at least the owners to talk to. There are many if you google B & B Fremantle Western Australia - just one is www.kilkellys.com

Mentioned in this post
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

Seems like everyone has a different view on things here..... but I would just like to touch on the CBD and the Hilton suggested in the first post.

If you want to stay in heart of the city I wouldn't suggest the Hilton. You will find many "Business Types" around here as its right in the middle of the business area. Don't get me wrong, I posted a good review on the Hilton and I like the hotel, just from what I have read in your post, I am not sure its what you are after.

If its the city you want to stay in then I suggest a hotel along Murray Street, the Ibis has had some good feedback recently and Pacific International Suites is a nice place. It takes less than a minute to walk into the main shopping area of the city. (much closer than Hilton).

Reason why I suggest Murray St is because there is a good range of safe nightlife along this street. Its away from the main nightclub district of Northbridge, however Murray St boasts a number of pubs and bars, Moon & Sixpence (British Pub), Belgian Beer Cafe, Carnegies (great for a cocktail). You can eat at these places too, but there are other eating places like Rubix, Tiger Lils and the 24 hour Fast Eddys. There is also a nightclub called the Capitol.

All these places are in walking distance from those two hotels I suggested and all along the one street.

P.S. I am 26 years old!

Mentioned in this post
Northbridge
Northbridge
451 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Moon and Sixpence
Moon and Sixpence
237 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Belgian Beer Cafe
Belgian Beer Cafe
379 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Rubix
Rubix
29 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Tiger Lils
Tiger Lils
18 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

G'day Hel2710

Got to agree with York Foodie regarding Freo. Its a friendlier place and the vibe down there is a lot more relaxed. Also agree with Perhite ref Scarborough, plus there really isnt much to do there.

Freo has heaps to offer regarding pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants, sight seeing etc. Other nice areas if your looking for a bit of clubing culture is Subiaco and Leederville. Avoid Northbridge its the arse end of Perth.

The Xpress paper which is free and comes out on thusdays is a good way to find out whats going on. The following website is also worth a look www.theguide.com.au

cheers

Howzat

Mentioned in this post
Subiaco
Subiaco
Greater Perth, Australia
Brit in Beijing
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

Thank you everyone!

Whilst I love Fremantle and think it would be perfect I think it's a tad far away from the airport. I don't need to be close to the airport per say... as I said, I can't drive and I think at least one of my flights is super early or late and a taxi from Fremantle would be damn expensive.

Sorry I should have said in my first post that budget isn't an problem at all.

I don't want to stay in a hostel tho I know it would be best for meeting people. I might check out a B&B tho - good suggestion!

I'll def check out all of the above suggestions.

I must admit I haven't spent a vast amount of time in Perth before (just a couple of nights) but I do remember it all closing up at 6pm and finding it hard to find somewhere for dinner.

I don't need/want to go clubbing. Just looking for somewhere to get dinner and drinks in the evening near the hotel.

Thank you again for all your suggestions (and please do keep the coming!). I'll check it all out.

Thank you!

Hel

Mentioned in this post
Fremantle
Fremantle
Greater Perth, Australia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

Playing devil's advocate here - but if budget isn't a problem, why not pay for the taxi to/from Freo so that you are in a location that actually doesn't close up at 6.00pm and perhaps suits you better than the CBD?

Just a thought...

Brit in Beijing
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

good point... any idea how much it costs to get from Perth airport to Freo?

Thank you!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: On own in Perth for 2/3 nights- Where to stay, go, drink etc

I must admit Perthite, that was my thought too..... I believe a taxi will set you back $35-$40. This is a guesstimate based on other similar estimates that have been given on this forum.