We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Instead of flying from Melbourne to Sydney we are thinking of renting a car leaving Melbourne AM on Friday and driving with 2 stopovers- Beechworth Friday 28th OCT. (1night) Canberra Saturday 29th Oct.(1night) then on to Sydney early Sunday morning to airport to leave car off for a noon departure.

Is Beechworth worth the stopover or should we try to drive the 8 hours or thereabouts and spend more time in Canberra?

This is all at the end of our month long trip in Australia -travel agent at Quantas Vacations is discouraging the driving. Suggests we fly to Sydney instead. However, if we fly we'll miss Canberra.

How hard is the drive split over 2+ days?

Any suggestions or advice?

Carol

South Carolina

USA

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Fly melbourne-sydney.

Rent a car and drive to canberra.If you get a car at the airport it is right next to the freeway to canberra.

About 3.5 hrs sydney-canberra.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Bookaholic, I don't agree about the driving. There are two main drives from Melb to Sydney and both can go via Canberra. The inland route you mention is around 7 hours from Melb to Canberra and an easy drive. Much of it is freeway and not that much to see besides flat farmland. Beechworth is a nice little town but I dont' think it would be a wise overnight stop, it is too close to Melb. I would stop in Albury for lunch and push on to Canberra for a mid afternoon arrival.

On Route 2, you have to do 2 or 3 hours more driving but it is a more scenic drive and goes through some great little coastal towns and some nice forest and bush. I would stop overnight in Pambula on the coast and enjoy this little seaside town. Then on to Canberra for lunch the following day and an overnight stay. An easy 3.5 hour drive to Sydney the next day for your flight home.

I think that seeing Canberra is a great idea, hope you get to see the War Memorial.

Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Willnino,

Not sure if you'll read either of these so I'm posting in both places...

Thanks for the advice regarding coastal versus inland route. The reason we'd drive is to see more scenery on our last few days AND to get to see Canberra albeit a very brief visit!

Any advice on where to stay in Canberra? Don't need "posh" but just 3 or 4 *'s in a convenient location for the sights.

Thanks so much for your helpful advice.

Carol in South Carolina USA

United States
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Beechworth is a nice little town and if you are fascinated with the history of Ned Kelly, this would be a good stop. On the other hand, I think it would be great to drive directly to Canberra (by whichever route you prefer) and plan to spend 2 nights there. You could get into Canberra by late afternoon/early evening on Friday and then have all day Saturday to spend visiting some of their great museums--the War Memorial, Parliament House, Old Parliament House, the National Gallery, etc. If you prefer some outdoor activities, I would recommend driving out to Namadgi National Park and doing the hike to Yankee Hat. (Get a map/brochure from the Visitor's Center, which is worth a stop in itself). The hike is an easy 6 km round-trip and is almost all flat. You WILL see lots and lots and lots of kangaroos and native birds. At the end of the trail is a rock with some Aboriginal drawings (the brochure will explain what they are). It only takes about an hour to drive from Canberra CBD to Yankee Hat, so you'll still have time in the afternoon for a museum. For an alternate outdoor activity which is closer to town, I can highly recommend the Botancial Gardens. Except for Old Parliament House which charges a A$2 admission, all of these above-mentioned activities are free.

As for accomodations, check out the Canberra Tourism website www.canberratourism.com.au There you can select the type of accomodations you are looking for and the price range. I would suggest staying at one of the Inner South accomodations such as Forrest, Deakin,Kingston, or Manuka. There are a lot of restaurants and shops in Kingston and Manuka and they tend to be a little livelier (but not rowdy) after dark. Also, many of the sites you'll want to visit are south of Lake Burley Griffin, so these inner suburbs are convenient. (They will also be quite green and lovely in late October.) Hope you enjoy Canberra!

Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Thanks so much for all the great advice! It's shaping up now and I am ready to firm up all our itinerary and book everything.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Hi Carol. I can't help you with the accom, have stayed there a few times but can't even remember any of the hotel names. They were all ok, nothing special. I am sure you will find something good, if you haven't been told already you can use www.wotif.com.au or www.lastminute.com.au to book for very good prices but you have to wait till 2 weeks out, not sure if you want to leave it so close.

What did you end up deciding to do.....??

Level Contributor
340 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car drive Melbourne to Sydney so can see Canberra?

Willnino,

Going to do as you suggested- the coastal drive-may push on to spend more time in Canberra as another post suggested. We will just take our chances and not pre book the last 3 nights accommodations. That way we can make the drive as leisurely or as fast as we like, depending on what we want to do along the way.Since it is 27th -30th Oct. I don't think that is peak time, so we should find places to stay.

Thanks for the advice. The forum is a great help when one is planning from so far away!

Carol in South Carolina -USA