We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth to Adelaide for christmas

australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Perth to Adelaide for christmas

We are a family of four, soon to be five, planning to return to husbands home in Adelaide for Christmas 2008. Any suggestions for the best way to drive, accomodation and anything worth seeing on the way?

My husband is not too keen on camping with the young children, they will be 5, 3 and 9months.

we always fly but decided this time we would finally do the drive as we will be there for a month.

Thanks

oz family travelling

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Perth to Adelaide for christmas

We make only 3. - Going east probably Balladonia, Ceduna and Port Augusta. But this will give you 2 x12 hour days, then 2 around 5 hours.

Northam, Western...
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Perth to Adelaide for christmas

It's a reasonably easy trip in a modern airconditioned car. In times past I have done the trip in 3 days with overnight stops in Norseman and Ceduna. This would probably be too much for the kids though. Things to see are the cliffs of the Bight in SA and the sand dunes of Eucla. The area around Madura is also scenic.

The roadhouses on the Eyre Highway have limited facilities and some are nicer than the others. They all have accommodation and I would recommend Eucla as it has the most facilities. It's no problem to get fuel but it is expensive. Mundrabilla had the cheapest petrol when I last did the trip about 3 years ago. Take plenty of drinking water with you. Water supplies are limited across the Nullabor.

Avoid driving at night or at sunrise and sunset. It doesn't look like you would anyway but those are the times kangaroos and other creatures wander about and you don't want to hit any.

13. Re: Perth to Adelaide for christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 14, 2009