We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports Events

Which Perth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Sports Events

We're in Perth from 24/12 to 29/12.

Are there any professional sporting events during our stay (Cricket/Aussie Football/Rugby etc)?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports Events

Sorry - all the sport is on the East coast that week.

International Cricket - The Boxing Day test is on in Melbourne - Aus - Sri Lanka so no international cricket here.

Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race starts Boxing Day - pretty spectacular start to view.

Local cricket - In Perth there is a 20/20 match New Year's Eve

Horse Racing - Perth Cup is on New Year's Day.

So basically in answer to your question - No - nothing!

That week is DEAD - a huge proportion of the population is on holidays - the Sales start on the 27th so there will be a mob at the shops, everyone else is either at the beach, down south, Rotto on a boat or sitting in front of the big screen with a beer/vino watching the cricket (if it is not raining in Melbourne.)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports Events

And I forgot to mention the following

Aussie Rules preseason matches starts mid Feb. Similarly, Rugby has just started their pre season training too so no matches for either of those sports.

Too quick to post for my own good sometimes!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports Events

The Hyundai Hopman Cup tennis tournament starts on the 29th, the first session is usually fairly low ranking players but I found it interesting (and I don't even like tennis all that much- I was a volunteer for a charity :-) ). You can get tickets here:

privilegeclub.com.au/Product/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports Events

I forgot about the Hopman Cup - I haven't been for a couple of years so completely slipped my mind. Laughingbear it can get very hot inside the Dome where the games are played so be aware.

www.hopmancup.com.au

Tickets went on sale Monday 5/11.

Ticket prices are $25/$35/$45/$65 each per adult.

Session 1

Sat 29 Dec 2007

10:30am

USA (2) V India (7)

Serena Williams v Sania Mirza

Mardy Fish v Rohan Bopanna

Mixed Doubles

Session 2

Sat 29 Dec 2007

6:00pm

Australia (6) v Czech Republic (3)

Alicia Molik v Lucie Safarova

Peter Luczak v Tomas Berdych

Mixed Double

The evening match sometimes doesn't finish until nearly midnight or even later. Both of these two sessions will be very popular, especially the Aussie duo in the evening.

5. Re: Sports Events

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 13, 2009