We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting perth for ten days over new year

London
1 post
Save Topic
visiting perth for ten days over new year

Hi all. Coming over from the UK, and spending 12 days in Perth area. I have travelled around Aus a few times, but never the West, and have very little idea what great things to do.

I will be with an Aussie friend, and we are thirty somethings, so want to mix the trip up with activities (saling, fishing, vineyards, diving), sights and a good nightlife, but one that is not too young.

I would love to learn to sail, am keen on scuba, and more than happy to do roadtrips. Currently planning on staying at Scarborough but happy to take advice on better accommodation.

Would love to hear from some experts

cheers now

Jonathan

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting perth for ten days over new year

Hi,

Because you are here 12 days I would spend say 3 or so days in Perth checking out the beaches and stuff, and then would maybe split up the time between a tour up north to see the the sights up there (pinnacles etc) and then also head down south to Margaret River and Dunsborough to see the wineries down there. They are completely two different landscapes. I know there are plenty of travel companies which do tours up north - for maybe 2-3 days, camping, that kind of thing.

For down south, the best bet is simply to hire a car and drive down. Stay in a chalet or something down there (e.g. Margarets Beach Resort) and check out all the great wineries. Margaret River has excellent restaurants, wineries, chocolate, cheese etc etc. Also, if you do make it down that way, you must go to the Berry Farm. It is excellent for morning or afternoon tea.

In terms of scuba diving, I am not sure of the best areas - might be way up North, like Coral Bay, but this is about 2 days drive. Fantastic though.

Hope this helps. Any questions, let me know.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting perth for ten days over new year

Assuming you are coming in the summer or warmer months as you are in to water based activities?

Have a look at :

www.downsouth.com.au

www.experienceperth.com

www.westernaustralia.com

www.swanvalley.com.au

smh.com.au/travel/australia/western-australia

www.swyachtcharters.com.au/learn-to-sail

I think you will find all of the things you are interested in covered in the foregoing sites.

Are you staying in Scarborough for a specific reason and do you intend to hire a car? Public transport to/from Scarborough is reasonable but you are a little removed from major tourist attractions and hence a little bit of time would be added to your day trips.Of course the upside is you are on, or close to, one of our most popular beaches.

Have you also considered learning to surf? Lessons are offered at City Beach. Also wind surfing lessons on the Swan River at Crawley.

We have a number of dive wrecks around the state, too. One at Dunsborough and one at Albany. Details are found at the above web sites. Diving off Rottnest Island can also be pleasant.

You may also like to consider a swim with the dolphins:

www.dolphins.com.au

Any thing else you would like to query, feel free to get back to us.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting perth for ten days over new year

I just realised your topic was headed "over new year". Please excuse my "senior moment" re warmer months :-)

And no offence meant to those who are more senior than I :-)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting perth for ten days over new year

Closer to Perth, Rottnest Island offers some good scuba diving; you could go on a day trip if no accommodation is available (summer school holidays is the busy season).

http://www.rottnestisland.com/en/Attractions/Diving+and+Snorkelling/default.htm

If you think you may want to stay in other towns you should try to organise your accommodation ASAP as over New Year is the high season here and places will be tight.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting perth for ten days over new year

Another great place to try especially if you like to dive is Busselton. It has a great jetty that acts as a fish magnet- an artificial reef if you like. The sensational thing about the jetty is the night dives. It is amazing to see the difference between day and night. Busselton is on the way to Margaret River.

You can also dive the HMAS Swan which was sunk to create an artificial reef. It is also a good dive site as it caters to all level of divers.

For more info on the above check out www.capedive.com )cape dive is based in Dunsborough a little closer to Marg River.

An often over looked area is Denmark/Albany. Great fishing, diving, wineries etc. Its a lot quieter down there but very beautiful and relaxing- not a great deal to do at night if you want to party. Flying down is quicker - 1hr, driving takes 4.5hrs.

Heading north to Exmouth/ Coral Bay will also not dissapoint with diving and fishing etc. You'll have to fly- its about 13-14hrs to drive.

Diving with manta rays doing barrel olls above you is briliant. Also a lot of snorkeling options and fishing options. Id spend 4-5 days up there.

www.skywest.com ( flights to albany / exmouth)

www.coralbaywa.com

www.coralbayinfo.com for more info.

All info from these posts will make your head spin- but WA is a big state with many different things to do.

6. Re: visiting perth for ten days over new year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 10, 2009