We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions about Perth

Singapore
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions about Perth

Hi All

I will be going to Perth in mid Nov for 1 wk. Would like to ask a few questions:

1. How is the weather from mid Nov till end Nov. I will be in perth from 16-23Nov? Rainy? Hot?

2. Planning to self-drive to Magaret River in 1 day. Possible? Need advise on the driving route. Staying near Malcom st.

3. Rottenest - Really need a bike to go around the island? Any other transport on the island?

4. Planning to visit a wildlife park. Any good suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions about Perth

Weather that time of year is nice - mid-high 20s (at least it was the year we were there then). Cooler at the south end of Margaret River.

Getting to Margaret R in a day is easy, only a few hundred KM of highway driving. We've done it along the coast (past Rockingham) and via main highway - personally I preferred the highway. A number of small towns on the way with some history but the most interesting was Bunbury.

Rottnest Is - yes you will need to hire a bike.

PS I think Schoolies week starts the week after you are there - you may get some rowdy types at night.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,719 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions about Perth

1. Mid to high 20's - has been known to get hotter. Rain unlikely although anything possible these days.

2. MR is 3 hours but allow for stops in Busselton/Bunbury/Mandurah. Drop in to the Tourist Bureau in the CBD and get yourself a map. When you get to MR go to their tourist bureau and get yourself a local map/advice. Very easy to find your way around.

3. Rotto has a bus hop-on/off style. Or can hire bikes - must wear helmets.

4. Caversham at Whiteman Park best IMO www.whitemanpark.com

5. Schoolies week should not really get going until after you are gone but would get Rotto out of the way early in your trip just in case.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,535 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions about Perth

Here's a link to the Rottnest website so you can see the deal:

http://www.rottnestisland.com/en/default.htm

The bus does a one-way circle route of the island and you hop on hop off at whatever stops you like, but to get back to the start you will ultimately have to go all the way around the island. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if time is a factor, you may prefer to get a bike.

Another poster on another thread (TMT I think?) recommended Marapana Wildlife Park; I can't offer an opinion but s/he was very keen on it so you might like to look into it:

http://www.marapana.com/

Here's a link to the MR Visitor Centre:

www.margaretriver.com

and one for Busselton on the way down:

www.geographebay.com

Singapore
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions about Perth

Thanks a lot folks for your reply :-).

Just want to ask: Is Pinnancles worth going? Heard that it is another 3hrs drive from Perth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions about Perth

The pinnacles are amazing especially at dusk when they turn an orange colour. You can drive up there and stay overnight. You dont need a 4WD as its all bitumen road into the area.

You can get a number of day tours to the pinnacles - they can be booked from any number of places in perth cbd- which include a stop at Yanchep 1hr north of perth, then Lancelin a further 1hr. In lancelin the tour allows you to go into some huge sand dunes for sandboarding- great fun. Finally its up to cervanties for the pinnacles.

Is it worth doing??? Yes, WA is very, very, very big and diverse and this gives you a totally different taste of this state than you'll get going to margaret river etc...

Enjoy!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions about Perth

Hi Panda,

Gotta agree with Perthite. Caversham Wildlife Park is one of the best I've been to so far - definitely worth the time and effort, especially since it's also a hop, skip and jump from Swan Valley (a place where you'll really enjoy if you like wine, chocolates and nougat).

The koalas and kangaroos there are really cute and adorable - and the guides there are visibly full of love and concern for their charges.

Enjoy! (",)

7. Re: Some questions about Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 08, 2009